560: Workflows with Luc Beaudoin

7 Likes

Luc is off the charts.

This and the last episode of MPU is delving into topics that are fantastic at least for me.

Already bought the book Cognitive Productivity for Mac OS

I think this subject was barely scratched and probably another MPU episode with Luc or on Focused Podcast.

Now off to dive into all this captivating info.

4 Likes

I want to hear more about getting work done while riding the bicycle. I walk 1.5-2 hours daily for exercise, and listen to podcasts when I do. I sometimes dictate ideas in Drafts – which is how this particular comment started.

Sometimes I think I should be more mindful and just walk in silence, and listen to the world around me, but it’s not what I do.

I have sometimes daydreamed that I’d be able to just walk 8 hours a day and do all my work using voice. Have emails and articles read to me, take notes using voice, write articles by dictation.

Interesting metaphor, the mind as a virtual machine. I know I’m not conscious of my breathing every moment; that process occurs at a layer of abstraction well below my consciousness.

4 Likes

Very interesting topic.

I use AppleScript to make links to files & folders in Keyboard Maestro routines. I have attached a couple of samples which may be of use in developing similar processes as covered in the podcast.

Cheers

Iain

Copy File/Folder paths

tell application "Finder" to set s to selection as alias list

set Link to ""
tell application "Finder"
	repeat with i from 1 to the count of s
		if i is 1 then
			set Link to the URL of item i of s
		else
			set Link to Link & return & return & the URL of item i of s
		end if
	end repeat
end tell

set the clipboard to the result

Create Reminder with Links to a File or Folder

####################################################################
# Title: Create New Reminder
#################################################################################
#  v5 - Updated Link Question
#
# Logic2Design.com
# logic2design@icloud.com
#
# Inspired by code written by Michael Kummer michaelkummer.com

try
	#Clipboard
	set _input to the clipboard -- grab clipboard

# Reminder Name
	display dialog "What would you like to be reminded about? 	
 	(leave blank to use clipboard)" default answer ""
	set reminder_name to text returned of result --get input

if reminder_name is equal to "" then
		set reminder_title to _input -- use clipboard contents
	else
		set reminder_title to reminder_name -- use input
	end if

# Reminders List	
	tell application "Reminders"
		set lName to name of every list
		set dName to name of default list
	end tell
	tell me to activate
	set lName to choose from list lName with prompt "Select Reminder List" default items {dName} without empty selection allowed
	if lName is false then
		return 1
	else
		set lName to lName as string
	end if

set RemindersList to lName as text

if RemindersList is "false" then return

# Set Reminders Note
	set clip_question to display dialog "Include Clipboard as a Note?" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 2
	set clip to button returned of clip_question

# Include Linked File or Folder
	set link_question to display dialog "Set link to File or Location?
	(highlight in Finder)" buttons {"Yes", "No"} default button 2
	set link_answer to button returned of link_question

set link to link_answer as text
	#set link to result as text

if link is "false" then return

if link = "Yes" then

set sel to (get selection)
		if not sel = {} then
			# Set Link To File
			tell application "Finder" to URL of item 1 of (get selection)
			set the clipboard to the result
			#Clipboard
			set link_path to the clipboard -- grab clipboard
			set _link to link_path
		else
			set _link to ""
		end if

end if

#Follow up Time
	(choose from list {"2 hours", "Tonight", "Tomorrow", "2 Days", "End of Week", "1 Week", "2 Weeks", "1 Month", "3 Months", "Custom"} default items "End of Week" OK button name "Create" with prompt "Set follow-up time" with title "Create Reminder")

set reminderDate to result as text

# Exit if user clicks Cancel
	if reminderDate is "false" then return

if reminderDate = "2 Hours" then
		set remindMeDate to (current date) + 2 * hours
		--set time of remindMeDate to 120 * minutes

else if reminderDate = "Tonight" then
		# add 0 day and set time to 17h into the day = 5pm
		set remindMeDate to (current date) + 0 * days
		set time of remindMeDate to 60 * 60 * 17

else if reminderDate = "Tomorrow" then
		# add 1 day and set time to 9h into the day = 9am
		set remindMeDate to (current date) + 1 * days
		set time of remindMeDate to 60 * 60 * 9

else if reminderDate = "2 Days" then

set remindMeDate to (current date) + 2 * days

else if reminderDate = "End of Week" then
		# end of week means Sunday in terms of reminders
		# get the current day of the week
		set curWeekDay to weekday of (current date) as string
		if curWeekDay = "Monday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 6 * days
		else if curWeekDay = "Tuesday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 5 * days
		else if curWeekDay = "Wednesday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 4 * days
		else if curWeekDay = "Thursday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 3 * days
		else if curWeekDay = "Friday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 2 * days
		else if curWeekDay = "Saturday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 1 * days
			# if it's Sunday I'll set the reminder for Sunday next week
		else if curWeekDay = "Sunday" then
			set remindMeDate to (current date) + 7 * days
		end if

else if reminderDate = "1 Week" then

set remindMeDate to (current date) + 7 * days

else if reminderDate = "2 Weeks" then

set remindMeDate to (current date) + 14 * days

else if reminderDate = "1 Month" then

set remindMeDate to (current date) + 30 * days

else if reminderDate = "3 Months" then

set remindMeDate to (current date) + 90 * days

else if reminderDate = "Custom" then

set remindMeDate to (date (text returned of (display dialog (localized string "Enter the due date (e.g. 1/4/2017 22:45pm):") default answer "")))
	end if

# Save Reminder
	if clip is equal to "Yes" and link is equal to "Yes" then
			tell list RemindersList
				set reminder_id to make new reminder with properties {remind me date:remindMeDate, name:reminder_title, body:_input & return & _link} --create reminder
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

if clip is equal to "Yes" and link is equal to "No" then
			tell list RemindersList
				set reminder_id to make new reminder with properties {remind me date:remindMeDate, name:reminder_title, body:_input} --create reminder
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

if clip is equal to "No" and link is equal to "Yes" then
			tell list RemindersList
				set reminder_id to make new reminder with properties {remind me date:remindMeDate, name:reminder_title, body:_link} --create reminder	
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

if clip is equal to "No" and link is equal to "No" then
			tell list RemindersList
				set reminder_id to make new reminder with properties {remind me date:remindMeDate, name:reminder_title} --create reminder	
			end tell
		end tell
	end if

#Error Message	
on error
	display dialog "Oops, something went wrong." --throw an error if something goes wrong
end try

2 Likes

Is there anyway to get in with all those trying out nvUltra?!?

@MacSparky To echo what @ismh said, while the Pacific Blue isn’t quite as subdued as Midnight Green, it’s not nearly as bold in real life as it appears in Apple’s product shots. It probably limits your choice of case colors somewhat, but not as much as you’d think from the photos.

I haven’t listened to the episode yet, but I love Luc’s books on productivity :slight_smile: For anyone looking for an in-depth exploration of strategies, I recommend them enthusiastically.

4 Likes

After listening to this episode I thought I’d give Hook another trial. Upon installing it, it knew I’d last trialled it sometime in early 2019.

So I bought a license instead. :grin:

5 Likes

I’m going to give it another shot too, the episode was good for clarifying some points about uses that I missed with my trial I think.

3 Likes

It’s a hard app to get your head around.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to blog about this topic for years. I maintain a “cognitive task” txt file which I consult in 1writer (and nvUltra). It’s separate from my TaskPaper and OmniFocus ones, because I need super fast access when I’m on the go.

Of course, often I already know what I need to think about. And the mere fact of recording something as a “cognitive task” is enough to prime it in my head.

Like today I went for a bike ride and dealt with:

1. reflected on a partial draft chapter that Claude Lamontagne sent me the other day for inclusion in Discontinuities: Love, Art, Mind book. (His chapter is pretty deep and requires thought. I’m the editor of the book.)
  2. some business issues re Hook (less interesting but still knowledge intense).

Neither needed to be in the list because they were fresh.

Having said that, while walking and even jogging (on a dike, where it’s quite wide and safe), I often do productive practice.

I didn’t really mean to diss mindful walking, however. my brain often needs a break too. But there are so many hours in the day. I’d rather do my meditation in a chair often quite actively, and sometimes actually doze off a bit. (Compare Siff’s excellent book: The Book I Read Last Year that Had the Greatest Impact on Me – CogZest).

Also there’s an argument to be made that being in a different environment can help with creativity, but this is not well researched empirically. I discussed it elsewhere. In a nutshell, the normal environment in which you think about a problem (e.g., your office) becomes associated (In a conditioning sense) with your thoughts about it. The environment cues the prior thoughts. To break set, and decrease that associative cuing, one can choose a different environment. Lots of anecdotal evidence on creative walks and other environments (e.g., going to the library or a different coffee shop).

I personally find being able to dictate on the go is super helpful.

Here’s a blog post of mine on that: Understanding Ourselves with Virtual Machine Concepts – CogZest.

3 Likes

Are you making notes electronically, physically, or just mental notes? E.g., @MitchWagner “I sometimes dictate ideas in Drafts…”?

1 Like

Electronically. “Hey Siri, create a new note” , then I have to pause because so often iOS gets confused. And then I dictate the note. Unfortunately, iOS repeats the note back to me, which wastes my time, so I have to press the headset button (if I’m cycling, I use wired earphones-- I dropped an AirPod once and it took me > an hour to find [in the dark! but I found it]).

I wrote this blog post on mobile dictation before Siri matured: How Dictation Benefits Cognitive Productivity – CogZest. Some of that I would change if I were to write today, of course. But the history and psychology I think are still relevant.

4 Likes

they have Contact info at the bottom right of their home page: nvUltra - Searchable, portable, MultiMarkdown notes

3 Likes

I’m a little late to this episode but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed it. I need to say a big thank you to Luc for answering a question I’ve been wrangling with for years but never really mastered; moving knowledge from reading and reference meterial into working/active memory. I’m in healthcare and keeping newly introduced or infrequently used clinical guidelines easily accessible in my brains RAM has always been a struggle of reading and re-reading flashcards, personal databases etc. Turning this into active testing seems so obvious and fundamental but it had never clicked for me like it has whilst listening to this episode.

I enjoyed so much of the discussion I’ve just added the books to my Christmas list. Thanks again!

3 Likes

I’m in a similar field to yours, constantly jamming into and protocol into my head on a daily basis (and I wouldn’t trade that for anything :sunglasses:). I’m currently checking out Remnote because of Luc, but I will always be a hardcore Anki user!

2 Likes

The episode was great and filled with interesting ideas! I didn’t realise @LucCogZest was behind MySleepButton - best ever way to get to sleep if you’re struggling (trust me I tried lots of apps, this one works reliably to put me to sleep). Thank you, Luc!

2 Likes

If it happens again go to Find my > Devices > Airpods and you can make them beep pretty loud.

BTW, I just started reading cognitive productivity and I’m enjoying it a lot. Specially what people seem to criticize the most in the reviews, the humongous amount of definitions on the different terms and concepts used.

3 Likes

Yep, I used that technique. I thought I heard it beep a couple of times, so I stopped and search carefully there, but couldn’t find them. Then on my way back at around the same spot (but with no beep), I found them! It was near the furthest spot on the route I had taken (on a dike with dirt and gravel). Was so amazing to find them!

Thanks! It’s temporarily off the app store as we deal with an iOS 14 issue with packs. We have a fix that we’re about to upload to the App Store. (We’ve changed how mySleepButton packs are stored). This kept us quite busy with the release of Hook 2.0 happening at same time.