600: Mac Migration & Settings

1 Like

Okayā€¦ I am driving home from the Apple Store this afternoon. The repeating N key on my wifeā€™s 2016 MBA was a $500 repair, so instead I opted to spend $1K on a new, M1 MBA.

Both the old and the new computer are in the back seat, and Iā€™m wondering how I want to move over the data. I get a PocketCasts notification on my iPhone that the new episode of Mac Power Users is available. ā€œMac Migration & Settings.ā€ While Iā€™m wondering how Iā€™m going to migrate data between these two Macs.

SPOOKY!!!

We have all had the experience where we talk about something and then get a Facebook or instragram ad, but this is a whole other level!!

Just finished listening and am using migration assistant now. Guys, thanks for pre-cogā€™ing my problem and solution!

9 Likes

Wow! Now thatā€™s a new level of customer service!

I didnā€™t get nearly that kind of attention. They just gave me the advice not to have your Time Machine velcroā€™d to the back of your Mac ā€œlike some people we knowā€ if I drop my Mac into Lake Tahoe ā€“ which appears to be about 2800 miles away, so I think itā€™s unlikely to happen, butā€¦

A) I think Stephen is still just jealous of my ingenuity.

(Narrator: ā€œWhat Stephen feels is more accurately described as being ā€˜horrified at your offense against all that is good and holyā€™.ā€

B) I didnā€™t use Velcro (I think itā€™s actually @MacSparky who does/did that!) and it wasnā€™t my Time Machine drive. It was a 2 TB SSD so that I could have my entire Dropbox stored locally and didnā€™t have to rely on ā€œSmart Syncā€. What I should really do is just clean out my Dropbox so it fits on my internal drive.

C) Since I now use my M1 Mac mini as my primary Mac, I donā€™t do that any moreā€¦ I mean, I suppose I could tape a couple of those T-5/T-7 SSDs to my Mac mini.

2 Likes

RE: Applications to install on a new computer or after a nuke and pave.

I donā€™t use Migration Assistant. All my important stuff is in the cloud or on an external SSD and nothing is in my computer except apps and stuff that can be obtained from iCloud, Dropbox, pCloud, etc.

I always work from a list apps that were in my ā€œoldā€ computer. Hereā€™s how:

1. Go to the Applications folder and do a Cmd-A, Cmd-C.
    Note: If youā€™re using something like Setapp, you can either ā€œfavoriteā€ all the installed apps in Setapp or redo Step 1 for the Setapp folder in Application.
  2. Open a plain text editor. Text Edit works fine but remember to set the format as Plain Text (in the Format Menu).

At this point, you could print it out. However, I prefer to copy this text into a word processor and create columnsā€¦just more pleasing to my eyes.

I then print it out as a reference. I cross out all the Apple system-installed apps (if I feel really energetic, Iā€™ll do this by deleting them in the word processor). Then use a red highlighter to highlight the must-have-immediately apps (1Password is first so I can get to the passwords and license numbers for all the apps Iā€™ll be installing), followed by a yellow to highlight the ones I know I want but can wait. Then, for all the others, I take the @MacSparky philosophyā€¦earn your way back into my computer. Then I keep the list handy because I always get to a point where I think, ā€œI had an app that would do xxxxx. What was it?ā€ Usually, just looking down the list will jog my memory.

Iā€™ve had a couple of computers where Iā€™d do a nuke and pave about every month due to this problem or that problem. Iā€™ve even done it when I wanted to roll back to Big Sur on my M1 MacBook Air when I had gone to the Monterey public beta.

You can usually get back to a fully functional computer within a few hours, then bits and pieces of time for a few days while you pick up the apps you realize you need.

Tony

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done nuke&pave more than most people probably should. I used to do it for each major version of macOS (i.e. Catalina to Big Sur).

The biggest problem is apps purchased from Paddle which often have activation limits. I now keep a list in Notes of which apps need to be ā€˜deactivatedā€™.

Then there are all of the little settings.

Like Hazel rules.

Like BBEditā€™s preferences.

Like my default font in Pages.

Honestly, Iā€™ve gotten to the point where I donā€™t install a lot of apps that I donā€™t actually use, so not bringing them over was just a hassle.

Eventually I realized that I was just giving myself 1,000 paper cuts by doing this.

I did do clean installs for Intel-to-M1 but Iā€™m not even sure that was necessary, but it did seem like a good time to do it.

However, most people donā€™t get new hardware as often as new versions of macOS come out, so, if you feel better doing a ā€˜nuke&paveā€™ obviously itā€™s up to you, but I donā€™t think thereā€™s much need to do it any more.

1 Like

I think itā€™s likely I may not go the nuke and pave route in the future, barring any catastrophic
problemsā€¦Iā€™ll also avoid public betas on my daily machine! :wink: I feel comfortable enough with the way Big Sur is working on the M1, so Iā€™ll probably just do an upgrade when Monterey releases or a migration if I ever get a new machine (which is highly unlikely).

That said, I guess I donā€™t have a lot of ā€œlittle settings.ā€ Itā€™s never been much of a bother getting everything tweaked. Canā€™t you save settings files on apps like Hazel or Pages?

Tony

Hey @macsparky! Iā€™m one of the few of them who actually uses the announcement time feature in the clock pane. Since Iā€™m a VoiceOver (blind) user, I appreciate this feature a lot. Lets me explain.

As a sighted person, you can easily glance on the corner of your menubar and check what time it is. For us, who are blind, this feature help us be aware how fast time goes away. It was actually @RosemaryOrchard who wrote a great piece about announce time on TSS and thereafter, I opened system preferences and turned on hourly announcement of time.

In addition to that, I also have an AppleScript which announces current time. Triggered by a keyboard shortcut.

So yeah, David, you can look at this as accessibility/automation feature for them who need this.

While I wrote this answer, it came to my mind that I have different announce AppleScripts in different areas e.g., word count, name of current playing song etc. Possibly, I will turn this topic into a blog post. Thank you for inspiration, David!

6 Likes

Iā€™ve literally set up or rebuilt hundreds of Macs so I was very interested in hearing what David and Stephen had to say. IMO, this was one of the most complete discussions on the subject that Iā€™ve ever listened to or read. Great episode!

When it comes to settings my rule is ā€œChange all All Apple Defaultsā€ and for those discussed I almost always agreed with one host or the other. For the record I use: Tap to click, Mission Control in the lower right corner and NO NATURAL SCROLLING. And I add the Library to my Sidebar.

I think the Migration Assistant is a very useful app, but I always do clean installs. This normally takes 1-2 hours plus whatever time is needed to transfer files. My preferred settings are burned into my memory from all the setups, etc Iā€™ve done and I keep a folder containing the installer for my all non-App Store software. (Yes, all my users started out with my preferred settings :grinning: )

And I always turn on FileVault before I transfer sensitive files to my Mac because it is impossible to secure wipe an SSD. This may not be necessary since Catalina but itā€™s been my habit since Apple started using solid state drives.

1 Like

Thanks for another great episode of MPU!

A couple of tips to add.

I use the CustomShortcuts app to add keyboard shortcuts to apps. Itā€™s much more convenient than digging into System Preferences and menu items autocomplete as theyā€™re typed, so I donā€™t need to remember the exact wording.

Itā€™s developed by Houdah Software (the same developer as HoudahSpot) and is FREE. Keyboard shortcuts defined in CustomShortcuts are visible in System Preferences (and vice versa), so I could uninstall CustomShortcuts without losing any keyboard shortcuts.

Secondly, in the General panel of Systems Preference thereā€™s a ā€œPrefer tabsā€ setting thatā€™s set to ā€œfull screenā€ by default. I opted to set this to ā€œalwaysā€ to cut down on window clutter.

For example, if Iā€™m composing an email and Mail and use āŒ˜N to create another draft, a new tab will be added to the existing compose email window instead of a new window being created. If I like, I can easily move this new tab into its own window by choosing Window > Move Tab to New Window. For convenience, Iā€™ve assigned a global shortcut of āŒƒāŒ˜W to this menu command.

This behaviour takes a little getting used to, but having used it for several years I canā€™t see ever going back to the default setting.

6 Likes

i always go for a fresh install ~ i donā€™t have a new mac that often so would rather just take the opportunity to start again, with no (potential) hang overs from prior installs

6 Likes

I donā€™t recall which app it was, but I did find that enabling ā€œUse keyboard navigation to move focus between controlsā€ messed up the behavior of one of my other apps. So, just FYI if you enable this and find something doesnā€™t work like it is supposed to elsewhere in your system, this may be the culprit. Sad, because I would prefer to leave this on.

1 Like

@RDK Thanks for this. Iā€™m adding it to our feedback outline. I you do make that post, please send me an email.

2 Likes

Two small things:

A) Unlock with Apple Watch does not only work, when I am on my desk. It also works when my kids are poking on my keyboard and I am going by the the room in the hallway.

B) I canā€™t live without the 3-finger-drag, which can be found in the accessibility menu. It allows to ā€œgrabā€ windows, making me feel like I can touch the sky, eh, screen.
But I guess, thatā€™s more for those in the tap-to-click camp.

Edit: I am totally in the fresh install camp, even just for new major os version. I once started a script for the non-negotiable settings, but setting settings programmatically is quite a pain.
That would be a very nice automators episode!

1 Like

Itā€™s sad that three finger drag isnā€™t a default setting, and is hidden away in an Accessibility menu. I use it all the time but donā€™t use tap-to-click :woman_shrugging:

Ah, so itā€™s really sad, that itā€™s hidden away.

I believe that there was a time, where the three finger tap actually was in the trackpad settings ā€¦ old days ā€¦ where everything was better :wink:

Guys, thanks for the tip on stopping Spaces being rearranged while Iā€™m not looking. I have a further bugbear, however. Is there any way of ensuring that app windows go to the correct Space after a restart? Most seem to just open up in the first Space and have to be manually relocated.

If you right-click on the appā€™s dock icon, then click Options, youā€™ll see options to assign the app to a desktop, or all desktops.

Thanks, but I frequently have multiple windows for the same applications on different desktops - Safari and Excel, for example.

1 Like

It looks like Moom might do what you want.

And could be used in conjunction with Bunch to launch and set up multiple applications (if thatā€™s something you need too).

1 Like

Upgrade versus Migrating

Sometimes it scares me a little bit when @Stephen and David @MacSparky have a podcast that directly the addresses something that Iā€™m wrestling with currently.

On one hand how timely and on the other, where were they 8 mos ago when I was making bad decisions.

What follows is a migrating horror story, the faint of heart should turn away.

When I got my new M1 Mac mini I was excited to do a clean install until I realized all the settings, Apps, licenses that I would have to bring over. I then discovered migration assistant.

My Late Oct 2012 MacBook Pro had been acting a bit flaky but I naĆÆvely thought that I could migrate the applications and settings to the new machine.

As it turns out I migrated the problems along with the application and settings.

About 50% of the time when I leave my M1 running over night I come back to machine that is crashed.

Clean my Mac will regularly give me warnings that Iā€™m running out of ram while the activity monitor shows but the system is idling with plenty of memory available.

When Apple support suggested that I totally rebuild my machine I jokingly said there goes 2 days of my life put a reality itā€™s probably closer to Davidā€™s estimate of 2 weeks.

I believe my lesson learned is that unless your machine is running perfectly you should not do migration.

Thatā€™s said, if youā€™re going to do a clean reinstall what can you do to make it easier.

My plan, if my checkbook can handle it, is to buy one of the new M1x Mac Minis and start from scratch while I still have the old machine to reference and then sell the old machine.

Thatā€™s it does anybody have any ideas or tricks to make it less painful?

In talking with Apple support about keyboard settings and moving them to the new she showed me how are you can just do at Ctrl A select all of the keyboard settings and then drag them to your desktop as plists and then drag them over to the new machine.

Other than keyboard settings Iā€™m not sure what else you could drag and drop to save system preferences.

I was thinking about building a spreadsheet the listing all of the applications as well as their homepage and Serial Numbers/License.

I donā€™t suppose thereā€™s anyway to extract all of those serial numbers in a way that would allow you to move them to another machine?

There doesnā€™t seem to be standards amongst developers by which you can transfer the license from one machine to another. I know some you have to release prior to uninstalling to make a license available again.

What really scares me is the possibility of finding out that it wasnā€™t the migration that brought the problems across but just some strange combination of applications that are causing my unstable system. I know that I should slowly install the apps making sure the system is stable on the way but itā€™s just so frustrating when you want to do something and your favorite tool isnā€™t there.

The purpose of this post to solicit any tips and tricks to make reinstalling from one machine to another less painful.

My goal is to have a stable machine, one I donā€™t constantly have to mess with. I need to treat it as a production machine, move to the latest OS updates after they are determined to be stable and leave the testing of the latest and greatest apps to you youngsters.

Iā€™ve become aware of just how much time Iā€™m spending troubleshooting and maintaining the computers I have and some days it feels like I am a lone knight fighting three dragons (M1 Mini, Notebook, and PC) and often losing.

Along those lines the one thing I really do appreciate is that the iPad tends to be quite solid. That is with the exception of the last update which seems to have really slowed my 2018 iPad down. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s going to be fun to troubleshoot.

I am going to have to do it to two machines as my notebook will no longer be supported. I may just do a clean install of Big Sur and use my late 2012 MacBook Pro as a Remote Desktop in the living room.

But I digress, does anybody have any suggestions to help make the move from one machine to another less painful? Any white papers or writeups?