612: macOS Monterey & MacBook Pro Impressions

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been using tab groups like a read it later feature. I go on a News site, create a tab group for it and have a few open tabs of articles I want to read later. Once I’m done with the article, I close the tab. So it is something transitory, unlike a bookmark which I expect to live for months or years in the future.

2 Likes

I’ve heard @ismh refer in shows a number of times to his use of Craft for journaling, notes, etc. How about a show that does a deep-dive on Craft? It’s usually mentioned and then bypassed with little or no detail (unlike references to Obsidian).

I’m a light user of Craft, but would like to hear more from those who are more regular users of it. I’m attracted to the fact that it’s an aesthetically beautiful environment to write in and produces great looking documents, the exact opposite of the note taking program that seems to get most of the attention.

4 Likes

@MacSparky talked about how the new M1 Pro/Max distributes workload among the efficiency and performance cores. iStatMenus actually shows this in action:

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 8.38.26 AM

The two bars on the left are the efficiency cores. They definitely behave differently than the rest. When doing light work like web browsing those two will be booking along while the performance cores just blip in and out occasionally.

1 Like

David and Jay Miller got into it some on 604

I checked it, thank you! Still could use a “deep dive” episode on Craft!

1 Like

Really enjoyable to hear the enthusiasm about these new products. They are way more computer than I need for work or play, but it’s super fun to hear the joy on MPU and some of the other Apple podcasts I listen to.

2 Likes

Monterey - only reminiscent of Snow Leopard please! - Shouldn’t we expect the next few releases to be similar until Apple no longer has the x86 overhead in tow and has fully exploited/refined all the new hardware. I want the OS team prioritizing all the kernel changes, drivers, API’s, etc required to optimize the performance/power experience on the expanding line of M# SOCs. Scheduling and proper loading across all those rich hardware resources, especially running legacy code, is THE unsung “feature” that I value most in Monterey! I can live without dramatic changes to the UI and other novelty features for another few releases. Still, the team managed to squeeze in Airplay, SharePlay, Remote Control, and even Quicknote - to at least stay in sync with iOS 15. I too have my fingers crossed that Quicknote on MacOS wasn’t just a checkbox. Looking at how far Notes has already come (enough for me to dump my subscription note taking service) and Numbers.Pivot_Tables oh my - I will remain optimistic.

In this episode @MacSparky talks about how much he was impressed with the new screens on the MacBook Pros. I bought a 14" MacBook Pro with a Pro CPU. I set it up next to my M1 MacBook Air and compared photos. My wife and I were both amazed at the jump in clarity and color on the MacBook Pro!

In one photo taken at Watson Lake in AZ, on the MacBook Air the rock cliffs in the distance across the lake kind of all blended together; on the MacBook Pro they were sharp and clear. In another photo of clouds, the clouds in the MacBook Air showed some variation, but in comparison to the same photo on the MacBook Pro looked indistinct. The MacBook Pro screen showed a richness of variations in color and texture barely detected on the MacBook Air screen.

I don’t do any real “heavy lifting” at this time, so don’t really “need” a MacBook Pro. But as @MacSparky predicted, the screen quality sold me and the MacBook Air is being traded in. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m using my new MacBook Pro, Pro 10C CPU/16CGPU with 16 RAM in clamshell mode with my 27" iMac. I’m experiencing extremely slow export in Photos of 30 short videos and photos. It’s been an hour and it’s indicating only 16% through. My iMac would have had it done in less than a minute.

Mac power users, any ideas what the problem might be? I’ve googled it and can’t find anything.

Do you have Photos set to download everything locally? Has it completed it’s initial download?

Yes, it is set to download locally. It appears that it is finished doing so. The status at the bottom doesn’t indicate any activity, when I sample videos throughout my 11,000+ library they all appear to be downloaded, don’t get the downloading circle when I edit.

Any other ideas?

I tried it with just the new MacBook Pro. 10 photos at a time export quickly, but 30 freezes up at 16%. It’s like it can’t handle 30 at one export and freezes up. After about 45 min it finally went up to 23%, now stuck there …

That screen will ruin you. You’ve been warned. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I almost can’t believe I’m getting one at work - with a Max!
I specced my dream machine, and it had lower specs than the one Work considers the default option…

2 Likes