621: Sparky Freedom

Sorry for having a different opinion on this. I think it’s silly. Or stupid.

I did understand Katie Floyd’s move. Not this one.

But well, I guess you know what you’re doing. And if it makes you happy… who am I to argue? So, good luck.

1 Like

Congratulations @MacSparky. Your willingness to make this decision is a reflection of the fruit your work and life has produced, your creativity and your courage. We will be enriched by what you do next!

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all of the support. I’ve been keeping this secret for about three months because I didn’t want any clients hearing they were about to lose their lawyer on a podcast. :slight_smile:

@vco1 I understand where you are coming from. To explain further, I felt like the two things were getting so big that I wasn’t able to do my best work on them both at the same time, so I needed to make a choice.

And I did.

24 Likes

@MacSparky wow, that is a big news reading first thing in the morning (Aussie time). Congratulations. We’ll expect to see you camping out at Disneylands ?

Just kidding, really looking forward to hear from you more on the tech side. Also guess you can spend a lot more valuable time with your family

Along with the others, a sincere congratulations to you! Thank you for being able to be so vulnerable with us. That couldn’t have been easy.
Cannot wait to see where your path goes. I’m happy you’re bringing your base (us) along for the ride :grin:
PS - Hope Daisy is as excited as we are!
—nikki

So excited for you @MacSparky . Listened to the show on the way home from vacation and have already signed up for 2022. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Congratulations!! I signed up for MacSparky Labs Backstage. I’m so excited!

Congratulations, David. I’m looking forward to seeing the results of your decision!

1 Like

Way to go David, @MacSparky! Joseph Campbell would call your decision ‘following your bliss’. Clearly your tech life lights you up.

Come on in the water’s fine, don’t mind the sharks or reefs :wink:

Seriously though, Congratulations on having the courage to follow your heart.

I don’t have a big budget right now but I did make some room to support another traveler on the way to their dream.

Take care and I can’t wait to see your Third Act!

1 Like

Now having time to listen to the whole episode, given how central that Margin was to @macsparky’s decision, I’m a bit surprised that it didn’t come up until the More Power Users segment at the end.

Speaking of More Power Users, I also find it interesting that while both Myke Hurley and @ismh are looking for more margin, @ismh seems to be doing it by pulling back on podcasts, while Myke seems to want to pull back on Relay FM admin stuff. Neither of these is wrong, of course, but the different approaches are interesting. Maybe this is something they can talk about on a future episode of Backstage or one of the Relay anniversary Q&A podcasts in the member feed.

I also find it interesting that Jason Snell happens to be talking about some similar subjects in this week’s Upgrade+. Perhaps @macsparky is inspiring his fellow Relay FM hosts?

4 Likes

Good luck and have fun!

That’s our plan for Backstage in January!

4 Likes

I respect and applaud @ismh’s and Jason Snell’s decision to pull back, but I’m disappointed to see Liftoff go. Despite having a brother working for NASA and my being a science fiction fan, I struggled to find good sources of NASA and space news. Liftoff filled that gap for me. I’ll have to look elsewhere!

I added Flashback to my podcast feed, and I’m fine with it being a 25-episode, limited-run series.

2 Likes

Good luck David, we are all behind you. I have to say one less lawyer in CA might not be a big loss BUT one less ethical one who took the vocation seriously might be! I wondered how you did it frankly. I feel it makes i easier for me to whine about complaints I have about copyright law and so on though.

1 Like

I’m a bit jealous because practicing law for 35+ years has been equally rewarding and stressful. Making that jump to work that sparks joy (a Marie Kondo reference with no pun intended on “sparks”) is great. It’s especially difficult when all that experience makes us even more marketable. Really tough to walk away from that. However, and this is entirely selfish, I look forward to seeing all the great things David will create with all that extra time on his hands. And, this is a purely selfish comment, I hope David will spend just a little time giving us still practicing lawyers some tips on automation specifically for law firms. And David, how about some CLE’s? We all need them. They’re lucrative and I would be the first to sign up. ~Jerry Geiger

Big change; congratulations! I am inspired to get to where I have two good things to choose from. :slight_smile:

I feel the Labs pricing change needs a big banner on the right pricing option that says, “I WILL TALK TO KOUROSH DINI ABOUT EVERYTHING AND SHARE THE FILE WITH YOU!” That’s compelling!

2 Likes

Was super jolly listening to this podcast. Congrats!

Same. @MacSparky sounded like a huge weight had been lifted off his shoulders!

As to purpose, @MacSparky I just want to say that I have been following your online endeavors for over 10 years now and you have helped me a great deal. Not through a particular piece of tech advice or some amazing workflow (although there have been some good ones), but rather through your leadership and generosity-- consistently showing up and sharing your thinking, your ethics and bringing people together to help one another. Thank you, I will be eagerly following your journey as a SparkyLabs member!

9 Likes