621: Sparky Freedom

Jamie Zawinski, whose delightful blog I recently rediscovered, addresses this point in a post I read just this morning:

Scroll down to the section header “ON BLOCKING.”

I am forever advising people, “Why hit Reply when the Block button is right there?”

But the struggle is real. I feel it too, especially these last few days. There are so many people who are wrong on the internet. So many! You don’t owe them your time. Block with righteous glee.

It helps if you think of the “Block” button as the “Go **** Yourself” button.

Jamie does not use asterisks, however. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You summed up my concerns better than I did!

1 Like

haha. Years ago I wrote a script that sent a one-line reply. “I’m sorry. I don’t argue with the Internet”, and then moved the sender into the SaneBox Black Hole. I stopped sending the message though. It felt kind of childish in hindsight.

2 Likes

I’d rather have gray hair than no hair.
I’m an outlier here as I’m retired and really have no need for much of what’s discussed.

But I do receive enough nuggets to make following MPU worthwhile. As “retired” seniors my husband and I run a small business renovating houses. Never thought we’d be doing this at this time of our life but enjoying it very much.

I’m a 79 year old woman who bought a Mac 7 years ago after a lifetime of using PCs. I’m so glad I did and listening to MPU has helped tremendously along the way.

Congratulations David. You made a fine decision.

5 Likes

@MacSparky Congratulations! I realize it took a lot of time and thought to come to this point: as it should. It’s a big decision. I hope it all goes well for you moving forward. I’m certainly going to keep listening and relish your insights and suggestions.

After my laugh-it-off comment to you earlier, I got to thinking about a Robert A. Heinlein line about how many great ideas and how much great work has been lost to the world because of belittlers.

This is why more and more I am becoming cautious about leaving negative reviews. Bad service at a restaurant? I’m not the restaurant police – let somebody else warn the world.

Skylandz, I was complaining to my brother once about having grey hair. He looked at me and answered “How’d you like to be losing your hair?”

That was the last time I complained about it and actually like my unusual color of grey. LOL!

1 Like

I am losing my hair. Or, rather, I have lost most of it. Hair loss seems to be stable for the last 20+ years.

I miss my hair. I had great hair. But it’s not a big deal.

My remaining hair seems to be getting more gray lately — though perhaps that’s the light. I don’t mind that either, though ageism is a concern.

Best wishes @MacSparky in this new stage of your life. You will continue to be successful as long as you continue to pour your heart in what you do. It really comes through in your podcasts how much you like doing this.

Luis

It is totally the style now, Mitch! :wink:

1 Like

Grey Hair ===> Experience
White Hair ====> Wisdom at Peak

3 Likes

I keep telling everyone that, but nobody believes me.

2 Likes

and freckles are the rusty ends of steel nerves…

1 Like

Congrats MacSparky! As someone who has considered “jumping off the cliff” as you did this is inspiring. Although for me it would be continuing the same career, which admittedly is not quite as exciting.

I wonder if that is why some doubt the change - a lawyer is a known commodity. Making money on the internet is still relatively new in comparison. You can go on the web and quickly find out what salary a lawyer makes, that’s tough to do with something like MacSparky Inc. (Though I would love to see a behind the scenes of something like that, if even for one of your Field Guides project, not the whole operation. I realize that’s a personal thing and understand if that’s a no-go.)

I was an “officer of the Court” when I got out of college. While I found law and observing, going to Court, fascinating- I wanted a career change.

So I went back to school, wound up a bilingual teacher and just loved it, as I appreciate Munchkins.

You have to follow your heart. Truthfully, you can always go back to lawyering. The skills, the knowledge, the expertise are still there.

But how wonderful to be able to do what you love best! You are one **** of a teacher!

Congratulation, @MacSparky. The advice my parents offered me when picking a career. Find something honest and noble.

Anyway, I was partly surprised when the news was announced. If I was in those shoes, a law degree and years of practice, that would be hard to give up. However, burnout, a change of pace, and different area of focus is refreshing.