624: Apple Apps That Need Some Polishing

It sounds like the students are accessing their Gmail accounts in the browser rather than in a mail client (which could be Mail, or something else like Spark).

If the Gmail accounts in question are part of Google Apps for Education, the privacy policy differs somewhat from the privacy policy for standard Gmail accounts (not that I could give you the specifics).

1 Like

Here in Wisconsin, even the DMV sells records. Quite literally, people can just buy the data from the government.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing new users arenā€™t sure what functionality to expect? So to them, Apple Podcasts (or Spotify) might seem like fine podcast appsā€¦ but they really arenā€™t!

I guess thatā€™s the whole question though. ā€œFineā€ is subjective.

I know people that swear up and down that iPhones are absolute garbage, because their first three phones were Android and they donā€™t know where to find anything. And Iā€™m sure the opposite is true.

I just popped into the Monterey version of the Podcast app. Looks really nice for being able to find new shows. Play features arenā€™t super-primo, but it definitely works.

Is it what I want? No. But could a new user easily find a podcast and listen to it? Seems easy enough to me.

I use Overcast too, and I would never intentionally switch back to Podcasts. But I also use a task manager other than Reminders, a calendar instead of the built-in default app, etc. Iā€™m not their market. :slight_smile:

Does System Preferences need a lot of help? Definitely.

But Apple canā€™t fall into the trap that Microsoft did, where the system preferences/settings/control panels have changed every couple years for seemingly no reason.

At least the search in macOS System Preferences is useful in finding what you need. Windows? Not even close.

I know you just did iWork a few months ago, but I wouldā€™ve loved for this fun episode to have a nice, juicy chapter lovingly dunking on Numbers.

Oh I agree, Wayne, but I wish I didnā€™t make it worse by sending all my junk mail to google.
The right to privacy is gone or, at any rate, our privacy is gone. Iā€™m not terribly worried about it but the potential repercussions are rather terrifying.
So the best of my mail goes to :green_apple: Apple and while the app needs improvements, it still works.
Apple :green_apple: seems to haul over one app, maybe two, at a time. Theyā€™ll get to their mail although I donā€™t understand why they canā€™t do it a little sooner.

IMO, you didnā€™t. Almost half the internet uses Google mail so if you donā€™t have a Google account itā€™s likely you send to or receive messages from a Google user all the time.

Thatā€™s why email privacy is a myth. A letter you stamp and mail to me is forever out of your control. Itā€™s the same with email. It may be ā€œsecureā€ in route but once it hits someoneā€™s Inbox the recipient owns it. So why worry about it?

I donā€™t worry about it very much, just a little. I have a friend who refuses to get a computer.

If I write a letter and send it through the US Mail at the very least there is an expectation of privacy. And, of course, it could end up in the wrong hands but if you commit to paper you are committing. In all likelihood, it is not left out thereā€¦ wherever.

There is NO expectation of privacy in an email and that is just plain wrong in my book. That is why I strongly dislike google. I have found out where I have my gmail information about myself the extent of their contempt, I mean, they are blatant about it.

Apple at least tries and has to be somewhat effective.

1 Like

My #1 app that needs TLC and lots of it? Photos.

Specifically, syncā€™ing pictures between devices. That thing that is supposed to have a picture appear on a Mac after it was taken with an iPhone a few minutes ago, but it does not show for hours. And when you then plug that iPhone in and Photos jumps to imports and spends forever to prepare your import, even if you have less than 1000 pictures on your device and only one that is new? That aspect of Photos should be an embarrassment to Apple

Does anybody else remember Apple data detectors being part of OpenDoc and Cyberdog back in System 8 days?

1 Like

You can pay ā‚¬5 a month for a business account at Google and they change the contract. Itā€™s only free accounts that have tracking and data mining, business accounts and educational accounts do not and are completely private. You can also disable personalised ads completely.

I canā€™t choose the email provider that my employer uses anyway, almost all universities use Google Education and businesses Exchange. Iā€™ve never seen a company that uses Apple, only home users.

2 Likes

Who gets to decide that? Should we let Google run with the ball or should there be a standards-based consensus?

Interesting, so only the peons are exploited. I suppose I might be able to qualify for an educational account.

1 Like

In an ideal world, Iā€™d like to think there should be a standards-based consensus.

But from a practical standpoint, all that matters for most people is ā€œdoes this website workā€.

Chrome is largely the standard for desktop with almost 70% market share - and almost certainly higher if you count other browsers that use the underlying rendering engine. Safari is under 10% market share. Everything else is almost a rounding error.

On mobile Safari is a much bigger player, as every browser on iOS (around 30% market share as a platform) is using the Safari engine. Chrome is obviously still more popular, because Android is a thing.

But unless Iā€™m really missing something, Iā€™ve never heard of a site working in Safari but not in Chrome. That would seem to indicate that Chrome is a much more universal rendering engine. Which is one of the reasons many of the average end-users I know have switched from Safari to Chrome.

Iā€™d look at it more of ā€œyouā€™re either the customer, or youā€™re the productā€. If youā€™re getting your email service for free, theyā€™re making money off of you somehow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

But right now Google is the 800-pound gorilla throwing its weight around and I donā€™t like that.

I didnā€™t like it when Microsoft ran roughshod over web standards committees and made themselves the universal rendering engine, and I donā€™t like it now when Google does it. And as you sayā€¦

Iā€™d rather not be the product for a company who needs to make money off me by tracking my web behavior and reading my email.

So I use the Safari browser made by the privacy-interested company from whom I bought my hardware. And I ignore websites that canā€™t be bothered to make webpages that run in anything other than Microsoft Explorer, oops, I mean Google Chrome. :slightly_smiling_face:

You make sense although I would imagine it is easier to exploit the peons. Google has a bad attitude, in my book.

I had an Android phone my brother was paying for me. They can get into your text messages (unless I understood wrong) and that is more than a little disconcerting. That is a private phone connecting with another private phone.

NOW I have an iPhone.

Some years ago, Caroline Kennedy wrote a terrific book entitled ā€œThe Right to Privacyā€. Although that was prior to most computer ramifications, the book is still worth reading.

I absolutely agree with you on the underlying principles. 800-pound gorillas suck, no matter whether theyā€™re seen to be on your side or not. Itā€™s not good for the market.

But on the other hand, Iā€™m a web dev - so I spend a disproportionate amount of time talking to end users. And most people care very little about principle and very much about practicality.

Personally, I use Brave and try to get the best of both worlds. I almost canā€™t not use a Chrome variant as my primary browser, but Iā€™m not a fan of all the creepy stuff in vanilla Chrome.

Yup. Itā€™s always easier to exploit one-sided relationships. If other people depend on you giving them things for free, they kind of have to take it on your terms. :slight_smile: