640: The iPhone App Roundup

I downloaded Dark Noise based on the recommendation on the MPU podcast, but I never use it. It’s a nice app, but out of the entire library of sounds, there are only about 3 that I’d ever listen to.

They all seem abrasive and annoying. Washing Machine? No.

1 Like

Mixing sounds can be good. We have an annoying shooting range nearby.
Dark Noise with thunderstorm, frogs and air conditioner (I call it ThunderFrogs) disguises it better than thunderstorm alone.

Another has birds, wind chimes and the air con (Wind beneath my wings).

For sleep, underwater, beach and Keyboard (Beach Hut) are more soothing than Ocean alone.

1 Like

Nice episode. Having me revisit a few things I downloaded and forgot about like Retouch.

For calendar i have always like the full week presentation I get in Easy Calendar and list view in the Apple Calendar App.

For to do apps, I cannot seem to let 2do go. It is the only one that I have found that gives me the ability to keep a short list without a lot of white space around the tasks.

Background sounds was an Apple Music feature, one of the things I loved about the Home Pod mini. You have to do a little set up first, but it’s a matter of Preference settings.

Options include:
Balanced Noise
Bright Noicw
Dark Noise
Ocean
Rain
Stream

These are generated, based on a downloaded file.

You can also use Siri to play these recorded sounds if you have Apple Music:

Play Night sounds
Play Rain sounds
Play Ocean sounds
Play Fireplace sounds
Play Stream sounds
Play Forest sounds
Play Whitenoise

As a follow up, I tried switching to Apple’s sounds for the handy Siri integration, but my wife noticed and said she found the ones in Dark Noise nicer (gentle waves sound, with that nice clickety-clack of the keyboard), so I switched straight back.

Are there any podcasts that are app roundups like every episode? I love this stuff.

Y’all have strange priorities on essential apps, at least according to Apple. I mean, come on man! :wink:

According to Apple, TikTok is an iPhone “essential” app! So is Disney+, SnapChat, Barbie Dreamhouse Adventures, and Tinder! I don’t know about you all, but for me, Barbie Dreamhouse is critical to my workflow! I use it every day! :clown_face:

Seriously though, everyone has their own needs and determining what is an essential or important app depends on the person. That said, if Apple’s list is any reflection of popularity across the App Store, I fear for the future of our species… lol.

3 Likes