641: Catching up with Federico Viticci

It’s a little frustrating, isn’t it? I feel like a lot of it is fueled by tech YouTubers trying desperately to have a hot take or fill up the content calendar. A few years ago, I wrote an Apple note called “What would make iPad serve all my computing needs.” I did this after analyzing all the things that I do on computer. The list is divided into “critical” and “wishlist” items. Some of those items are in the OS territory, several are things I need to be able to do in third-party apps.

Almost every year over the past few years, I’ve been able to check off an item or two. This year, it looks like I should be able to check-off the wish-list item of “better external monitor support.” The improvements to spotlight may allow me to check-off the wishlist item of “better file searching.” I did not see enough details about Files app improvements, but maybe I’ll be able to check off my list items on file management.

It’s hard to deny that iPadOS is becoming more and more capable with each update. Every year the delta of work (or workflows) that I can’t accomplish on iPad and can only do on Mac shrinks.

2 Likes

I think adjusting the effective resolution was the biggest concession to keyboard-and-mouse iPad users since that will actually reduce the size of tap targets beyond guidelines. Wild stuff. :slight_smile:

Overlapping windows seem a lot nicer than Slide Over without reducing what’s special about creative work on iPad. Same for the system-level affordances like memory swap and background processing.

I’m sure we’ll learn a lot more, but I felt like some needs were being met while keeping the iPad a place for work with divergent results.

2 Likes

StageManager would be nice for a couple of things I do but nothing they announced would justify replacing my 2020 iPP. It would be nice to just have full screen support on an external monitor but I doubt marketing will let older iPads get that feature.

OK, but for real, why not 5 external monitors one day?

I will admit to generally being a Mac guy, and despite today’s updates, that looks to still be the case for my workflow. But why not 5 monitors one day? I have the same Q for the MacBook Air, FWIW. I only use 1 monitor personally, but see no reason others should be limited based on my preference.

Lol, I see I should have gone more extreme in my joke. Why not 10? 20? Or maybe it wasn’t a joke. My point is that no matter what is offered, there will be complaints. More a statement I think that no matter what they do, some people won’t be happy. Or, to put it another way, some will want other features not added, etc. I’ll admit, in part, I’m just grumpy because I feel like, in general, internet tech culture is so often focused on what they don’t get, what isn’t offered. It seems like it’s often the norm as opposed to being thankful/positive of what is offered. But that’s obviously my opinion/problem and I do sometimes take a break from the digital realm largely because of it.

But, yeah, I think they offered some nice new features that will be helpful and appreciated by some and for those folks, their lives will be better.

3 Likes

IMO many/most? people are never satisfied. With them it’s “What have you done for me lately?” I’d guess that at least half of the people who “future proof” their computers by maxing them out don’t keep them for three years.

4 Likes

Fair! I wish they mentioned some sort of clamshell mode. Is that a thing already? But otherwise this looks like a pretty robust feature set.

I obviously haven’t used it yet, but I do think this new multitasking paradigm should just get rolled into the Dock at some point if it’s successful. We lose an awful lot of screen space with the current design.

And the whole Stage name thing is already hard for me to remember. What’s next? We going to rename FaceTime to Face Stage? (Actually, that’d be hilarious.)

I will say this one feature singlehandedly convinced me my next iPad must have an M1 chip.

1 Like