649: Workflows with William Gallagher

That’s what I thought I had heard. But could be mistaken?

I thought it was William too but I replayed it and I am sure it’s David saying he (David) moved to LA.
Happy to be corrected, of course … :man_shrugging: and I’m sure @MacSparky will correct me :joy:

1 Like

It was actually Rob Corddry, a popular actor and comedian. He left the Daily Show for a series in LA that got canceled. Then he decided to figure out his tech stack so he can make it in Hollywood. He became an MPU listener at that point. It obviously worked out for him.

Sorry for the confusion, gang.

4 Likes

This William Gallagher episode was an instant favorite in my 10 years of listening (I also enjoy the Merlin episodes as well and Obsidian / Contextual Computing episodes, there are many more, but William’s is there with them).

As a professional writer myself, I tend to approach writing-tricks episodes with skepticism. My first reaction is, “Oh, yeah?! Who is this guy to presume he has something to teach?” Because I hear about so many writing teachers who have no actual writing credentials.

But in this case, William Gallagher proves to have had quite a great career. And he has written for Dr. Who, which endears him to me immediately.

1 Like

Not quite finished catching up on this episode, but a small piece of follow-up regarding using Keyboard Maestro for window management, for those that might not be aware:

Rather than using pixels, one can use percentages and other math to set the window size. For example, the below moves the window to the top left quarter of the internal screen. You can also use negative numbers e.g. -33% for the bottom third or rightmost third of the screen.

I always consult this page for such matters: function:SCREEN [Keyboard Maestro Wiki].

2 Likes