650: Craft Deep Drive

The same thing came to my mind :smiley: … i listened and got curious about Craft… i might try it again during the holidays :rofl:

Please don’t lead me down that path! :slightly_smiling_face: Seriously, as I stated above, the main road block for me is the difficulty of getting Todos in meeting notes in Craft to Apple Reminders. I don’t understand why the developer created extensions for Things and OF but not Reminders. :man_shrugging:

I believe this is possible using FlohGro’s Craftcuts extension - there is a write up on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/CraftDocs/comments/tezoar/craft_task_reminder_get_your_tasks_from_craft/

1 Like

Great Episode thank you guys :slight_smile:

Just checking in here because I actually developed two Craft eXtensions:

• if you’re a Todoist user then you might want to checkout Craftist it lets you import / create tasks from Craft and enables frictionless jumpoing between tasks and notes in Craft using the Deeplinks
  • If you’re a Shortcuts user and e.g. want to send content of blocks or e.g. the deeplink of a page and so on to a Shortcut right from Craft the make sure to checkout Craftcuts - @MacSparky particularly mentioned that he would like to get the Deeplink of a block / page and get it somewhere else with Shortcuts - thats exactly what you can do.

Let me know if you have any questions about these eXtensions.

Since the Dev Team (its not just one developer) are reiterating the API of Craft according to the feedback from developers its not likely that I’ll change much of them right now but if you have ideas just let me know :slight_smile:

On another note - I started to assemble a weekly newsletter around Craft you can find it here: Craft Weekly.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out but I probably should just leave my workflow alone–it’s, well, “working.” :slightly_smiling_face:

Reminders integration would be a nice feature to Craft, maybe because Reminders does not have great integration possibilities? (no x-callback-url i think). Integration with Things works fine, it gives a link back to Craft, but with OF it only creates an item without a link to Craft.

Craft does integrate with Hookapp, which is nice!

Thanks for mentioning my eXtension!

indeed there are a couple of things you can do with Craftcurts to integrate with Reminders @Bmosbacker
There are a couple of ready to use Craftcuts compatible Shortcuts linked in the repository.
Also a community Member is using it heavily with reminders and hopefully will release a write-up of it soon :slight_smile:

@wvp using Craftcuts to link blocks in Reminders should be the same like for Things - the deeplinks of Craft Blocks are added to the Reminders similar to how this works with Things (as far as i know).

Have to say these links only work one-way so only from the Reminder to the Craft Block, not in the other direction.

The lack of end-to-end encryption is a dealbreaker for me.

Encryption is even more important when it’s an app from a small team that’s hosting the data themselves. They likely don’t have the same safeguards against rogue employees that Apple or Google would have. Craft does allow using iCloud Drive, but that causes issues with syncing in the background.

2 Likes

You know that you can export highlights from DT into a markdown file? From there you can go anywhere that makes you smile. I’m syncing to obsidian. I know others would dislike that.

1 Like

Yes, I know that, but this is not my „problem“.
I am still looking for an app, I could use to do the Highlighting, Annotating and Cutting (cut out of certain parts, to move them into new documents like Pages) on my PDF‘s that are stored within DT3, and then save them back.

I for example needed today an App, to remove certain pages (about 200, from a 500p PDF) from a PDF, and I wanted to do that on my iPad.

I failed, and ended at the end in front of my Desk, to do it within DT3, because I wasn‘t able to find an app, that is capable of doing so.
Preview is able to do so on the iPad, but just one page at a time, all other Apps failed on that (or I am just to stupid, to find that function!?).

Goodnotes may give you what you need (iPad, iPhone).
Maybe you can try it?

This is also one thing that holds me back.

I do like the integration possibilities with Omnifocus, for example: Recreating Structured Craft Content in OmniFocus

I’m 50 seconds into the episode and @MacSparky mentions the extra COVID weight to lose. Me too Sparky; me too.

During the show, @ismh indicated that Craft doesn’t store copies of documents locally as Notes does, and therefore they are not accessible offline.

Apparently, that issue has been fixed:

In the “Welcome to Craft” document, under “How Craft is different,” the “works anywhere, anytime” link, “Craft also always stores all your documents on your device as well- so these are always available independent from your network connection. More than that - you can keep writing even without an internet connection, and Craft will upload changes once you’re back online.”

UPDATE: I was incorrect; @ismh did not indicate Craft didn’t save documents locally, he stated that Craft does not store attachments locally. He is correct, my misunderstanding!

5 Likes

Someone else has already suggested GoodNotes.

I wonder if PDFexpert would make what you want easier?

Caveat emptor Preview on MacOS only hides the pages, it doesn’t delete them. If you want them truly gone, then you need to export/printtopdf.

Good luck
Mark

1 Like

Documents yes, but I don’t believe that’s been applied to attachments.

1 Like

I just disconnected both my Mac and iPad from the Internet. I confirmed that Craft documents are available, but attachments (e.g. PDF files) are inaccessible in the absence of an Internet connection.

On a side note, creating and modifying documents while offline is possible. I recommend that changes to a specific document only be made on one device while offline. For example, if I were sitting on a plane with no internet access and thought of some things to add to my “vacation plans” document, I would make these changes on just one of my devices (e.g. my iPad) and not others (e.g. my iPhone).

1 Like

As best as I could tell, Craft does not use the word, “attachments.” Rather, they talk about inserting files in their tutorial video.See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lA7VIjvCis.

I tried “insert file” into a Craft document, selected a PDF file, and inserted it. I turned wifi off on my iPad (it’s not cellular) and opened Craft, opened the document, and clicked on the attached PDF. It opened fine.

So maybe attachments now save locally also?

I tried “insert file” into a Craft document, selected a PDF file, and inserted it. I turned wifi off on my iPad (it’s not cellular) and opened Craft, opened the document, and clicked on the attached PDF. It opened fine.

In this case, I’m guessing the file/attachment was cached on the device. If you disconnect from the Internet and try to open a file/attachment that has never been opened on your iPad (or hasn’t been opened in a while), I think you’ll find that nothing loads.

Most unfortunate, but I’m afraid Craft would never work for me because I can’t get over their 90’s era misspelling of “extension”. Whenever I try my eyes roll out of my head and I have to stumble around blind trying to find them on the floor.

xmen

2 Likes