663: HomeKit Check-In

I considered that when Homey introduced Avanced Flow.

Advanced Flow is nice, but I quickly discovered that Athom uses polling for Hue motion sensor “triggers”, with a 2 seconds interval, which is just too slow for some of my use cases (turning on lights on a staircase).

Are you referring to the Aqara buttons? If so I use one to control several Hue bulbs in our bedroom and it works great!

That’s one of the sensors I was looking at.

Had a question caused by this episode… I’m looking at the Aqara E1 Shade Driver, but it’s not released in the US. I reached out to tech support and they said that because it’s not in the servers in the US the app won’t work with it. That sounds almost true enough… but I work in IT so I keep digging. @MacSparky mentioned that he bought something off alibaba that wasn’t released in the US. Does anyone know if the E1 shade driver works here? I’ve got quite a few shades in the room I want to start using this stuff in.

Thanks all.

What do you mean by “if only the device is not sold in the US”?

I’m using different devices from you, but this is how it works for me.

I have some devices that are released in Thailand, and others that are not released in Thailand, but were released in mainland China.

When you go to connect the device the first time, the app Looks in its database of products and if it can’t find the one you are connecting in the database then you cannot connect.

So, to manage some of my devices, I have to tell the app I am located in Thailand, and to manage others I need to switch my location in the app to mainland China. This is a bit of a pain, but it works.
One set up, everything seems to work in HomeKit just fine.

Do you have 1 hub or 2?

Yes. I one for my garage doors. One tap opens the left door, two taps open the right door and long press closes then both. Works flawlessly.

just wondering if you guys have looked into Home Assistant. I only just installed the service on a Raspberry Pi a few days ago (after listening to the podcast that @MacSparky mentioned he bought the yellow box). The community behind Home Assistant is great. It seems that HA has a lot of compatibiility to a lot of devices from different brands. May be check out their forum

We’re gonna get into it once Sparks has more time with it.

Just one Hub for me.

I’ve used Homebridge and found it useful in some areas, for simple things.
Aqara products are HomeKit compatible, and some of my devices (purifiers, robot vacuum) have useful functionality in the official app, so I have assumed I’d get little value from bringing in another layer. I may be wrong!

only if you are comfortable with connecting devices via the Aqara Hub. We have a separate discussion here . Some people connects via Homey Hub , which is another option. It may be possible (and I have not got to that yet), that Home Assistant can ultimately replace Homebridge

Personally, I am very cautious to prevent IOT devices between trojan horses within my own home network

I realised I made a mess of things here, mixing up my handling of Aqara and Xioami products.

But, I only have one Aqara hub, I have products from different regions I think, and only one product (an air quality sensor) failed to connect.

Sorry, I can’t dig in to figure out more details of my setup at the moment, and sorry for the confusion.

I recently come across NodeRed, just wondering anyone on this forum is using that to run Home Automation. Any feedback or suggestions?

One of the beauty is using flow based programming, similar to Homey. This suits people with small brains like me

Hello and Happy Holidays! Can anyone recommend a HomeKit compatible 3-way switch? Thanks in advance!

n8n is another such tool you could look into.

Other than via the tutorials I’ve not used either.

Have fun!

thanks, I am not aware of this until you shared. Will look into it

The Caseta can be used in a 3-way configuration. You install a regular Caseta switch in one sport and then a Pico wireless switch in the other. Because you don’t have a traditional 3-way switch you do need to link some wires together in the box with the Pico. It’s easy to do and the instructions show you how.

Your post was so long ago you probably have figured this out, but as long as you do not depend on the ATV to be your HK hub you will be fine.