676: Workflows with Kaitlin Salzke

I agree with the sentiment that Windows is…fine. Like I think David said in our conversation, it just lacks a little whimsy. :slight_smile: I certainly think I need to spend some more time on window management on Windows (it may be better than Mac, from what I’ve played with so far) and just generally go a little deeper on all things Windows. Realistically my needs are quite simple in a work context, other than the task management piece.

Ah, yes! I am aware of this and should have mentioned it - I use it all the time for setting internal meetings. However, a lot of my meetings involve people outside the organisation (consultants, software providers, etc.) and so that is where Fantastical will likely come in.

My previous workplace worked much like this and I can vouch for the fact that it can work, in certain contexts. I think the approach of where I am - where most people have their calendar visibility set to free/busy and typically invitations can be sent at a mutually free time using Scheduling Assistant, is a happy medium.

3 Likes

If you want to go a bit deeper in Windows, I recommend installing Powertoys. It’s a free Microsoft utility full of all kinds of power user tools. There’s some pretty cool window management stuff in it I’ve not taken the time to learn yet. My favorite that I do use is just an added keyboard shortcut that stickies a window to the screen even if I click away. It’s super useful to have the calculator or notepad stay on top as I go back to reference a spreadsheet/dashboard.

5 Likes

And if you’re into yet another approach to automation, AutoHotkey helped make the many years I spent on Windows PCs bearable

EDIT TO ADD: Plus you can get a version of iA Writer which does folding (which I don’t think iA.net ever got around to porting to the Mac).

1 Like

Yes, a team using that scheduling system requires folks to keep their calendars up to date, particularly making sure to block off time set aside for personal errands.

If person A wanted information from B, B would often respond, “Put a time on my calendar to talk. My calendar is up to date.”

1 Like

I very much like the way windows does window management.

When I had an office, the two software programs that were the basis for our business (estate planning) were Windows software only. We used Parallels on iMacs, and that worked great. The software output to Microsoft Word, and we edited and printed in Mac Word.

I’m surprised I don’t hear of more Mac/Windows users using Parallels on their Macs to run PC software.