676: Workflows with Kaitlin Salzke

7 Likes

Will be keen to hear about the PC workflows on this one as I use Windows at work.

Just started listening and sheā€™s an Australian! :raised_hands:

5 Likes

Nice guest choice! Looking forward to this.

4 Likes

Funny, I wasnā€™t all that interested in much of the content, but Kaitlin is a fantastic guest - so engaging!

7 Likes

Thanks, all! It was great fun and an honour! Hope I did MPU justice and keep you all entertained while you fold laundry or commute or whatever you do while you listen to podcasts. :slight_smile:

As a follow-up to one point in the episode: I checked, and after selecting multiple Live Photos in the Photos app there is definitely a ā€˜Save As Videoā€™ option!

Iā€™m afraid you may be disappointed on that front! I donā€™t have any great adviceā€¦!

17 Likes

Great show @Kaitlin ā€“ thanks for sharing will all of us.

2 Likes

Great episode. @Kaitlin is very much a master of #OmniFocus automation.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for this episode and especially to Kaitlin. V good and interesting. Best wishes

1 Like

Great episode! My wife enjoyed listening as well in the car which is high praise from her.

I definitely sympathized with @Kaitlin not having great solutions for the PC at work lifestyle. Iā€™ve tried using the personal iPad at work to use my preferred apps but just never had a good experience with it. I eventually landed on Todoist and Notion as ā€˜not horribleā€™ Windows apps to use exclusively for work, but I still dream of finding a Mac-friendly workplace one day.

4 Likes

Great show and thanks to @Kaitlin for taking the time to share her ideas and workflows!

I also sympathize with a Windows and Mac lifestyle. My work requires Windows and I donā€™t really have the ability to link any external services (even web ones are VERY limited) to my work machine. And I canā€™t have personal devices in my workspace. So I have just had to live the ā€œWindows at work; Mac at homeā€ lifestyle.

I will say, it gives me an appreciation for what Windows can do. Itā€™s come a long way, and I donā€™t despise it like many do. But it really makes me happy when Iā€™m home again on my Mac! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll echo that: fantastic show. And I have no interest whatsoever in OmniFocus!

More guests from far-flung places and with different kinds of jobs and workflows, please!

5 Likes

Au contraire, one of the ā€œbenefitsā€ of Windows is you have far less options, as a brief read of topics here will vouch for, considering the amount of ā€œapp switchingā€ that goes on! Windows apps may suck but if itā€™s all youā€™ve got ā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

One of my favorite guests. I too am not an Omni Focus user but really enjoyed this one. Really appreciated the positive energy.

6 Likes

Great episode! I was inspired to check out OmniFocus Automation after listening to @Kaitlin discuss her workflows with @timstringer at Learn OmniFocus a few months back. In particular Kaitlinā€™s ā€œTemplates for OmniFocusā€ plug-in has proven really useful to me, and has encouraged me to engage in an ongoing project to identify what repeating projects I might convert to templates since this plug-in is both so useful and so powerful. Thank you Kaitlin! And I will echo what was said in the podcast itself: if you are an OmniFocus user, you should really check out Omni Automation!

3 Likes

Another way to make automations if you arenā€™t comfortable writing them from scratch: ask ChatGPT! Thereā€™s a shell script that Iā€™ve been putting off writing for ages, and listening to this episode made me think of asking ChatGPT to write it for me.

NB: Please know what youā€™re doing so you can see if ChatGPT is making mistakes. And test your script on something not mission-critical.

During the show, David mentioned something about Better Touch Tool and using it to add data to the menubar. Can anyone elaborate on that? I canā€™t find any mentions of this in the BTT release notes or Google. Thanks!

1 Like

I just did nearly four months on a job that required me to use Windows.

For most of my career, Iā€™ve mixed work and personal use on a single computer, but at my job-before-last that was a source of stress for me, so instead this time around I decided to keep work and personal use separate.

In practice, that meant using Microsoft OneDrive to store all my work documents, which I was then able to access from my Mac. But I seldom used that access. I worked 100% from a home office. I did work on Windows, and my Windows laptop was side-by-side on my home office desk with the MacBook.

I tried a couple of KVM switches but I was never able to get them to work reliably. Instead, I just switched the cable between computers when I wanted to switch which computers I used. I also have a Logitech multi-device trackball and keyboard. The Logitech hardware comes with software that supposedly allows you to slide the mouse pointer between machines, and the keyboard and mouse focus will follow. I found that software was unreliable. But the hardware has switches that are easy to toggle. So that was a good solution.

I also used my personal iPhone to access work email, Teams, and calendar. The job required me to install Microsoft device-management software on my iPhone. I hesitated about that for a bit but then said to myself, sure, why not? Iā€™m already trusting the employer with a lot more than my iPhone. And indeed there as no problem; when I left the job I uninstalled the Microsoft MDM software from my iPhone and got on with things.

I used Outlook for email and calendar.

Regarding finding open times to meet: Outlook has a fantastic feature called ā€œschedule assistant.ā€ You can see which times are available on another personā€™s calendar, and just drop in an appointment. Works for group meetings too. At the company where I used windows, people just dropped appointments on other peopleā€™s calendars without even talking with them first. At first that sounds rude, but in fact itā€™s fantastic. Workplace etiquette was that the recipient of the invitation could feel free to ask for clarification or reschedule if the time was inconvenient. Completely eliminates the back-and-forth in email about finding mutually convenient times. So: No need for Fantastical.

For note taking, I tried OneNote but didnā€™t like it as much as Obsidian. So I went with Obsidian. That worked well. I use a lot of Microsoft Office documents in my career, and Obsidian plays well with those. You canā€™t edit the documents within Obsidian, but you can manage and open them.

I never found a task management solution I was happy with. Microsoft Tasks was too basic for me. I went with TickTick, but didnā€™t love it. Todoist is better, except for one feature that I find essentialā€“in a filter view, I need to be able to manually reorder tasks. Ticktick lets you do that, and Todoist does not. When I left the job that requires Windows, I gratefully went back to Apple Reminders.

(I have lately become persuaded by Carl Pulleinā€™s advice that you should stop using your task manager as a project manager, so nowadays if a project is too complicated to manage in Reminders, I put the task list in Obsidian, and simply have ā€œWork on Project Xā€ as a task in Reminders. Iā€™m not rigorous about thisā€“Iā€™m embracing sloppiness in my task management system.

I started a topic on using Windows when I took the job in September.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad it worked for you. Something like that would have made my job impossible.

1 Like

I was inspired to check out OmniFocus Automation after listening to @Kaitlin discuss her workflows with @timstringer at Learn OmniFocus

Great to hear you enjoyed Kaitlinā€™s session on Learn OmniFocus. It was a treat to have her as a guest!

In particular Kaitlinā€™s ā€œTemplates for OmniFocusā€ plug-in has proven really useful to me, and has encouraged me to engage in an ongoing project to identify what repeating projects I might convert to templates since this plug-in is both so useful and so powerful.

Great! I use Kaitlinā€™s ā€œTemplates for OmniFocusā€ plug-in regularly (in addition to some of her excellent plug-ins). Itā€™s feature-rich, well-documented, and adds convenience and consistency to OmniFocus.

3 Likes

Sounded crazy to me when I first heard about it, but it was actually an effective way to work. Cut through a lot of back and forth.

1 Like