678: Sales and Studies, with Kerry Provenzano

3 Likes

Oooooh. Walking pad! I didn’t know this was a thing, but I am very interested in getting one. Does anyone have any advice?

3 Likes

I came here to ask which walking pad Kerry uses.

Google suggests it’s a trademark.

1 Like

Nice desk setup with the sit and stand

1 Like

This was a really great episode. Super nice to chat with someone who is truly a Power User, but maybe not as blindly obsessed with the less important details as some of us.

1 Like

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B776GBK5

5 Likes

This was such a good episode – really enjoyed it!

1 Like

I did, too. I really like the workflow episodes, wish they were more often.

I love your desk! Especially the plants on that top shelf.

I’m also finding myself giving up on the iPad. A couple of years ago I was 90% iPad only using the Mac for spreadsheets and Python. Even the Python I’d try to get pyto or pythonista to work. But everything seems like a contortion. Now I only use the iPad as a second screen, reading PDF’s and a Peloton screen.

1 Like

I listened to this one on a long car ride with my 16-year-old daughter who struggles with ADHD and dyslexia and it became an opportunity to talk about the tools that @kerry uses for school and how my daughter might be able to use them to help her. I mentioned how people often tell me how organized I am and I reply that I am a naturally disorganized procrastinator who has over the years developed systems to compensate and cope. And then we discussed how Obsidian and focus modes and some of the other tools and strategies Kerry mentioned could help my daughter.

So I just wanted to say thanks for that.

7 Likes

Great episode. Enjoyed it. But at all the Apple Watch talk my series 3 has started to seem a little old :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This was really lovely to hear, thank you!

I use my iPad almost exclusively for reading and social media, including forums, like this one. It gets a good workout every day. My MacBook has been almost exclusively plugged in at my desk since my last business trip in December 2019.

My work crippled iOS and iPadOS so we couldn’t really do much work on it except Microsoft Apps and no cut-and-paste between. So my hand was kinda forced. Mind you, this is an iPad I bought.

1 Like

@oldblueday I think how much you use a iPad depends on what you’re trying to do with it (or what you’re trying to turn it into). If you’re trying to make it do things it’s not really designed to do, then I can understand “giving up” on it.

On the other hand, I find it an incredibly useful tool. I use it to read digital books and save the highlights to Readwise, and use it every morning for my morning routine. My whole routine is laid out with a series of apps and a couple of shortcuts to add a new blog post idea to Craft, and to open a new entry in DayOne.

My wife hasn’t touched a computer since getting her iPad the second year after they came out. She uses it for borrowing digital books, reading, playing several games, watching videos, taking video harp lessons, and doing all her emails and messages. I think she very much fits the profile of the kind of person the iPad is designed for.

3 Likes

@MacSparky asked for listener feedback on the use of Apple’s Night Shift mode or the use of a similar 3rd party app, f.lux.

I have never had any use for either. I like a nice bright clear screen, morning, afternoon and night. I hate the yellow dull look of a screen when a blue light filter has been applied. It’s easier for me to read. I can’t tell any difference in difficulty in going to sleep whether I’m reading my bright blue light screen for two hours before bedtime or not. So for me, I don’t see the point.

That being said, my wife uses Night Shift all of the time and likes using it. She feels better using it in the evening and nighttime.

So, a great example of different personal preferences. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Right now I basically only use the iPad for reading PDFs (and taking notes). Nightshift makes this easier, btw. I know it’s been asked before, if it’s just for reading, what’s the point of the iPad Pro over the iPad Air? I’d trade FaceID for a nice blue color.

That was an expensive show!

My new underdesk(ish) treadmill arrived today.

It’s made by the same people who make the walking pad, but it has an (um) stand (what’s the proper word?) at the front.

That means it’s easy to change the speed by pressing a button but it also means the standing desk needs to be up high (which may bug some people but is okay for me).

Weirdly, as you can see from the pic, it came with a special “dog’s nose” attachment just like the one that came with our refrigerator.

Weird because they’re different brands but the dog’s nose looks identical.

6 Likes

I am also looking for a walking pad.

Most under desk treadmills have a max speed of 6km/h. It seems maybe not fast enough to me, but actually I don’t know.

What do you (or the rest of the MPU folks) think about the speed? What do you use?

I’m happy with 3-5 kph (perhaps because I’m not in a rush to get anywhere).

I walk faster on the treadmill at the gym.

But, while at the gym, I’m not also typing.

I guess it depends!

Just to get a feel for it: How fast do you walk at the gym?

But I guess you’re right, at the desk it is not a workout, it is more “not sitting” and also not standing still.
And I am veeeeery curious if I will be able to type and/or think while walking in front of my desk.