690: Better Touch Tool with Andreas Hegenberg

3 Likes

That was an especially interesting podcast. Thanks!

I just listened to the podcast and it was great, but I missed the coupon code for BTT, I tried entering “MPU” but that didn’t work, does anyone know what the code is?

David mentioned the discount code around the 2:45 minute mark. MPU690 (or possibly MPU 690). Andreas said the 30% discount will be available for at least a week or two.

BTT is also available via Setapp if you have a subscription.

This is the first app that install on any new Mac, I’ve purchased it directly AND have it via Setapp, it’s that good. I do fear that my work may go deeper down the restrictive rabbit hole one day and not allow me to install BTT on my work machine, this would be a sad sad sad day.

Great episode @MacSparky, thank you.

I might be a little closer to a stream deck purchase than I thought :slight_smile:

My fav/most used BTT tiggers and actions (I have about 30, most aren’t used and I don’t remember to use):

Four finger swipe left / right = Maximise window left / right
Four finger swipe up / down = Maximise window / Minimise Window
TipTap Left (1 finger) = + c (copy)
TipTap Right (1 finger) = + v (pase)

And a complex one that launches two perfectly placed Things windows (one today and one upcoming), I needed to use keyboard gestures to map to Mosaic presets to ensure placement on the right monitor, I’m sure I could figure this out in BTT but I was beyond me).

3 Likes

Thank you! it worked!

1 Like

Great episode! I started using BTT early on (at least 10 years ago) but I rarely use my MBP now so even though it is installed there I don’t use it. On my iMac (used daily) I no longer use a Magic Mouse, for which BTT was a must have. Now I’m a daily user of Better Snap Tool, since the snapping feature of BTT was all I kept it around for, and BST seems to do snapping better.

That bavarian accent is so great. You can hear Andreas is from Bavaria through the English, haha.

Servus! :wave:

(and the usual 20)

To answer @MacSparky 's curiosity from this episode: Here’s one midi-keyboard setup with BTT

At the beginning of the pandemic, I found myself doing some very repetitive spreadsheet-to-webpage copy/pasting work and I was going brain-dead by the minute.

I thought it would be funny (and far more interesting) to repurpose some DJ gear I had laying around to handle the repetition via BTT-powered keyboard shortcuts (the unit is a Midi-Fighter, pictured below):

Mapping the keyboard shortcuts and key sequences worked like a charm and it was pretty hilarious to be doing all kinds of stuff on Excel with this thing.

Enter: Video Editing

I got into Apple via Final Cut Pro back in 2001, and I’ve edited video off and on ever since. While I’d seen those editing-specific controllers, I could never justify getting one. So, when I was experimenting with a TikTok channel (before souring on TikTok), I found myself wanting to edit more quickly and revisited the funny-Excel thing with the Midi Fighter and BTT. I mapped FCPX shortcuts and it was pretty awesome. Here’s a video.

But I wanted more, and had an M-Audio Midi Keyboard laying around and thought it was time to level up and I’m sooooo glad I did.

I — very seriously — cannot imagine doing any significant amount of editing WITHOUT BTT & Midi Keyboard! It’s so convenient and I found myself rarely touching the mouse and never touching the  keyboard.

Here’s what the keys are mapped to (from L-R):

• HOME
  • UNDO :black_medium_small_square:
  • HIDE INSPECTOR
  • REDO :black_medium_small_square:
  • HIDE
  • BACK :black_medium_small_square:
  • NAVIGATE TO LAST CUT
  • FINE-TUNE LEFTWISE
  • :pause_button::arrow_forward: :black_medium_small_square:
  • FINE-TUNE RIGHTWISE
  • FWD :black_medium_small_square:
  • NEXT CUT
  • ZOOM OUT
  • SHOW FULL TIMELINE
  • ZOOM IN
  • SELECT CLIP (X)
  • ⌘C :black_medium_small_square:
  • CROSSFADE
  • ⌘⌥V :black_medium_small_square:
  • ⌘V :black_medium_small_square:
  • INSERT (W)
  • VIEWER ZOOM OUT
  • TIMELINE (SELECT) :black_medium_small_square:
  • VIEWER FIT
  • VIEWER (SELECT) :black_medium_small_square:
  • VIEWER ZOOM IN
  • TRANSFORM ON
  • TRANSFORM OFF
  • MAKE COMPOUND CLIP :black_medium_small_square:
  • CROP
  • INSERT CLIP :black_medium_small_square:
  • VOICEOVER
  • AUDIO METRES
  • ADJUST VOLUME :arrow_down: :black_medium_small_square:
  • EXPORT ⌘E
  • ADJUST VOLUME :arrow_up: :black_medium_small_square:
  • INSERT PLACEHOLDER
  • DELETE
  • CUT FROM :black_medium_small_square:
  • ADD TITLE
  • CUT TO :black_medium_small_square:
  • DISABLE (V)
  • CUT :black_medium_small_square:
  • DETACH AUDIO
  • END

** The black keys on the Midi Keyboard are represented by the (:black_medium_small_square:)

Thank you :pray: Andreas Hegenberg … this app is a MUST HAVE.
Loved the episode @MacSparky

5 Likes