701: The Safari Extension Roundup

This was a very good episode. I loved the atmosphere. The cowboy vibe has been entertaining! Although I sort of felt excluded as a non-native English speaker not understanding the bleeped-out content. :joy:

Extension I use:

• 1Blocker (I may have to whitelist more websites on that one)
  • Vinegar
  • 1Password for Safari

Ghostery came up - I think it’s an extension to avoid. Per their Wikipedia page (Ghostery - Wikipedia): Under its former owner Evidon, Ghostery had an opt-in feature called GhostRank. GhostRank took note of ads encountered and blocked, then sent that information back to advertisers who could then use that data to change their ads to avoid further being blocked; although this feature is meant to incentivize advertisers to create less intrusive ads and thus a better web experience, the data can just as easily be used to create more malicious ads that escape detection.[20]

Not everyone sees Evidon’s business model as conflict-free. Jonathan Mayer, a Stanford graduate student and privacy advocate, has said: “Evidon has a financial incentive to encourage the program’s adoption and discourage alternatives like Do Not Track and cookie blocking as well as to maintain positive relationships with intrusive advertising companies”.[21]

Since July 2018, with version 8.2, Ghostery shows advertisements of its own to users.[22] Burda claims that the advertisements do not send personal data back to their servers and that they do not create a personal profile.[23]

1 Like

I’m loving this episode (only partway through so far). @MacSparky, one comment so far: I don’t disagree with you about how good Awesome Screenshot is, but if you just want to capture a full webpage it’s much easier to use Safari’s export command. File > Export as PDF… (⇧⌘E). Another advantage of this is it results in a PDF, so easy to select or highlight text.

1 Like

My contributions:

URL Linker for Safari. Use it to copy web page titles and links in your favorite format, such as Markdown.

Homecoming for Mastodon. Open Mastodon toots in your own home instance.

Surfed is an app for managing and searching your browser history–basically combines a history manager and bookmark manager. You can save searches, and more. I’m waiting for it to support iCloud sync before giving it a try. It’s an intriguing app.

https://surfed.app

Is anyone else having trouble with the Safari toolbar icons being reset every once in a while?

I’d like to throw in my 2 cents for the “managing” of the extension icons in Safari.

I may have missed them mentioning this, but it is possible to use the “customize toolbar” feature in Safari to remove whatever extension icons you don’t want in your toolbar. Granted, still not as full-featured and flexible as Chrome’s, but worth mentioning for those extensions that don’t need any UI.
Screen Recording 2023-07-19 at 12.54.55 PM

4 Likes

I want to throw in that this was my favorite episode in a long time. I also noticed a lot of the discussed apps catapulting to “Top Paid” in the App Store!

For content blockers, articles like this make me think the Hush model of simply dismissing the pop up is not sufficient.
Extensions like Consent-oMatic that can potentially read passwords make me nervous. It’s not that I don’t trust them… alright, that is it. Nothing personal though! Even if it’s open source and probably safe now, what’s to stop that changing tomorrow?

Is there a good way to actively deny consent without compromising security?

I use:

• 1Password
  • StopTheMadness
  • Send to Bear (though I admittedly have only thought to use it once or twice since installing it recently)
  • Eat the Shorts - this is a new one (to me) that disables/hides all “Shorts” when browsing youtube. I hate those shorts and there was no easy way to disable them in YouTube natively. $.99 was well worth it for this if it works. I just bought it and installed this AM so we’ll see.
  • Wipr

Regarding ad blockers:
I was a die-hard linux user for years until COVID forced my entire work team to become remote. After logging into a Teams meeting and trying to share my screen and finding it didn’t work with linux at the time, I gave up and bought an M1 Air and haven’t looked back. I was a fan of Firefox and used an excellent ad blocker (I forget the name) that was free and worked well. I was bummed when it wasn’t available for Safari. I tried a bunch of ad blockers that worked with Safari and ALL except Wipr either:

1. Routed all traffic through its own private network exension, resulting in noticeable slowness when browsing.
  2. Just don’t work to block ads effectively on websites.
  3. Don’t block youtube ads (the ones added to videos)

Wipr, with the “Wipr Extras” extensions enabled, works great! No slowness, no goofy network routing, no intrusive UI, AND it blocks Youtube ads. It just works and works well.

My extensions are fairly utilitarian and not interesting for talk about (ad blockers or stuff to link to other apps mostly).

I think the only extension I run that doesn’t fall into that category is Momentum. It gives you a nice home page. It’s more than that, and I did have a paid account until this year, but I stopped and just use it for the nice photo.

Great show — I’ll add that I could never get the WayBack extension to work for me, but I do like the workflow I put together. I have a group of Keyboard Maestro actions that I bring up with a conflict palette (Hyper + ‘L’ for Link) that gives me a bunch of actions I can do with the current Safari page. Load the URL in the WayBack Machine, extract an ISBN from Amazon or Bookshop.org link and look it up on BookFinder or WorldCat, load the current Amazon item on CamelCamelCamel. These save me a ton of time, highly recommend making things like this for your common web workflows!
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 7.38.45 PM

4 Likes

This has been one of the better episodes of late. While I am not a fan of extensions, there is some good information to be gleaned from this episode.

Picked up a couple extensions I hadn’t heard about before somehow!? :rofl:

A few points missed on ones already mentioned:

• Vinegar/Baking Soda – most of this functionality is already native in Safari from a little known functionality I believe: if you right-click on a video the second time – it shows a Safari native menu rather than say YouTube’s which permits you to:
    • show HTML video controls
    • open PiP (henceforth allow to play in background)
    • open full-screen
  • 1Blocker – has an addendum extension: 1Blocker scripts which replicates the other parts of Vinegar and some others mentioned (from their website FAQs):
    • Remove YouTube video ads on iOS & macOS: Link
    • Redirect AMP pages on iOS: Link
    • Remove Twitter ads and cookie notices on iOS & macOS
    • Remove cookie notices on Google and YouTube on iOS & macOS (reload the page to activate it)
    • Improves browsing experience on Pinterest, and some other sites

Mapper:

• does this affects Google map links from websites and other search results other than google.com? I’ve reached out to the developer for clarification and will report back if nobody knows but having not actually used google.com in years this would be enormously more useful to me if it supported outside it.

A few others I default install:

• Raindrop.io: such an amazing universal bookmark manager. Locking yourself in to ANY browsers native bookmarks is a trap. I used Pinboard before this which is still solid if intentionally(?) undeveloped.
  • Hush Nag Blocker: stop the madness of these cookie acceptance pop-ups! And for goodness sake, don’t EVER just click accept, far too many of them go against the mandate of providing these by default accepting all the tracking ones as well. Super Agent for Safari is another option with a bit more control on what you default accept/don’t accept.
  • Velja: one of the better browser picker tools I’ve used (and it’s free)
  • URL Linker for Safari - create your own custom copy link formats to save links on pages. Markdown good enough use case for me!
2 Likes

@MacSparky Since you asked, an alternative to Grammarly is LanguageTool. The core is open source, though they sell a premium hosted version to help fund development. It also gets funding from the EU so lots of development for other languages.

It seems to work as well or better for my style of writing, but your mileage may vary.

7 Likes

+1 for LanguageTool, which I find myself using all the time. Perhaps not as powerful as Grammarly, but great for everyone working with other languages than English.

Wow, this looks really nice. Thanks for sharing. Grammarly’s $144 yearly subscription is a bit nuts and when it runs out I might check this out.

Pro Writing Aid is another great alterantive to Grammarly.

4 Likes

When I was looking for a Wayback Machine extension, I decided against using the official one. I can’t remember why now, I think it might have been because of poor reviews/ratings in the App Store. For several years I have instead been using ‘Wayback’ which is developed by a third party.

I find it invaluable when I’m doing research. If I have a reference I always make sure that the original location of the PDF (or webpage) and the page linking to it is saved in the Wayback Machine so that I know it will always be possible to locate the citations I provide. A quick click on Wayback’s icon in the toolbar shows me whether the page is archived and gives options for archiving, viewing the history, newest/oldest snapshot, etc. This is what I get for this page:

If anyone is having issues with the official extension I can recommend Wayback. It’s been working solidly for years.

4 Likes

One gap in Safari extensions mentioned in this episode was something that allows you to display the CSS blocks on a page, to easily identify issues when developing and maintaining websites. I don’t have any experience with this myself, but a search turned up CSS Scan which seems to do what @ismh wants. It’s somewhat pricey (for casual use), but maybe this is what these sort of tools cost?

Posting in case this is useful to someone who knows more about these things!

I use Super Agent too, for the same purpose as you, and with the same settings: it just automatically answers “no” to all cookie requests, of which there are a lot, at least here in the EU. But I’m also confused, because in the episode, I feel like @MacSparky mentioned a plugin called Super Agent that fills in address details and such on web forms, which I don’t think this Super Agent does. Maybe there are two different plugins named Super Agent? Or maybe I misheard? I don’t see Super Agent in the show notes for the episode at all.