737: Scoring a Movie, with David Metzger

8 Likes

What a delightful interview. Really enjoyed this. And …l I didn’t end up buying anything afterwards:)

Thanks.

6 Likes

Really, not even a fully specced out Mac Studio with 32TB NVME RAID?

Great subject and discussion. The first 30 minutes reminded me of the Team Deakins podcast where they prompt those kinds of origin stories with the first question. It’s also a fairly technical podcast with nearly any filmmaking role (though naturally especially when DPs are on.)

Here’s one of their interviews with another composer.

1 Like

I am so looking forward to listening to this one! :blush:

I haven’t made it to the end of the episode yet, but I’m wondering what David Metzger’s backup protocol is. That’s a crazy large amount of “disk” storage on a personal system. And I assume it is all configured as one enormous drive since he seems to be dealing with lots of enormous files.

I circled back around to it before the end!

I loved this episode for several reasons. It was inspiring to hear the story of someone who used their “moments of fate” throughout his life to develop such a fascinating and impactful career and to hear a story of his life-long dream finally coming to fruition in his 60s! It was also brilliant to hear about a true “Mac Power User” whose work absolutely depends on maxxed out everything Apple.

David Sparks sometimes sounded a little apologetic for delving into the details of a music composer’s modern workflow but I was riveted. I loved the details of the process and the time and accountability constraints. It’s brilliant to get outside the bubble of “knowledge workers”, podcasters and you tube “creatives” and interminable arguments about notes apps, task managers and personal knowledge management.

I found it fascinating that David Metzger wasn’t all in on keyboard shortcuts but is a big user of midi controllers and control surfaces. He just wants to turn a dial, move a fader or press a button to get complicated things done, so that the system gets out of his way and doesn’t distract him from the real work. It chimes with a theory of mine that programmers (who spend all day focusing on the minutiae of text - e.g. the placement of a space or comma) like keyboard shortcuts because it keeps them in the text and keyboard, but lots and lots of people - who are also genuine power users - much less so because the text and keyboard takes them out of their creative flow, whether that is visual or auditory. I love a touchpad and can never remember more than the most obvious keyboard shortcuts and am completely bemused by why anyone would want or need more of them.

8 Likes

100% this. It’s so refreshing to hear from a talented person outside of the “tech” world.

4 Likes

Agreed, very much enjoy listening to professionals and people who have a substantial career to point to as example of how these tools help them do their job.

Such a great interview!

2 Likes