744: Apple’s “Let Loose” iPad Event

1 Like

If this were Connected, the episode title would be “Reach around in a weird way”. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I tend to get the largest hard drive because I’m a pilot and always traveling so having a lot of media downloaded is nice for those times I’m in the back of an airplane. To me the iPad’s killer feature is still having cellular. Not having to rely on hotel WiFi is very important to me. I’ve also been able to get a lot of work done for school including coding since it’s mostly done through Jupyter notebooks online. If Apple made a cellular MacBook Air I would switch to that immediately (although the cantilever way the keyboard holds the iPad is actually better on tray tables). In the end I maxed out the 13 inch Pro and plan on using it for as long as the 2018 I have been using. In the end I think I was itching for a new iPad like David mentioned even if I don’t totally need one but lightening and narrowing my bag a bit will be very nice.

My biggest decision point is textured screen vs normal. I do tend to be places where the sun can be an issue but listening to Upgrade it made me worry how much image quality I would be losing. Happy to hear people’s thoughts on the difference between the two!

2 Likes

Just a minor correction: the Magic Keyboard does indeed have backlit keys and has always had them.

2 Likes

Yeah. Got that one wrong.

3 Likes

My FIL has a nano textured studio display. I don’t like it. It’s not just the lower resolution, which is very noticeable, but I also don’t like the way light scatters. You still see light reflections. But they’re soft and diffuse. For me, they’re more distracting than normal glare.

A 1000 nit iPad screen (for UI elements) is almost double what the iPad has maxed out at in the past. It’s as bright as your phone is outside. I’d imagine, given that, that most folks don’t actually need nano texture enough to spend the money on it, and I don’t think anybody should.

1 Like

Thanks. I decided to go normal screen. If I’m blown away by the nano-texture when I pick it up maybe I’ll return it. But that seemed like the safe choice.

1 Like