75: Intentional Constraints

1 Like

I really want to know which fancy pens @MacSparky is using. I’m in search of a new one! Or maybe episode of Pen Addict that talks about the one you use?

I have a few. They are like tribbles … but my favorite is a Platinum 3776, broad nib, with an architect grind. I probably would like it a little more if it were a medium nib … but it is the one I use the most.

1 Like

I’m getting more and more out of this podcast every week. Keep moving the needle, David and Mike. And do it without reservation or apology. I’m not Christian but am extremely excited and intrigued to hear about Mike’s convictions, calling, and courses. I’m not a hippie but I want to meditate and journal. I guess what I’m trying to say is to please continue to be yourself and continue to share with us YOUR journey. You both are at your best when you share with us what’s working for YOU. Stop doing so apologetically. What wonderful momentum y’all have created. Thank you for all you do, all you share, but most directly, for all you are.

8 Likes

I don’t know if you guys ever plan on talking about books in detail, but I think it’d be interesting to hear you talk about Ryder Carroll’s The Bullet Journal Method. It shows you how to set up a bullet journal but also talks about the philosophy behind some of his ideas – like writing down the tasks each day, so if you write the same task six days in a row and still haven’t done it, you can debate whether it’s even worth doing in the first place.

Or he has a really interesting section about writing down notes about events in a very neutral fashion, so you can review it later and take the information Past You wrote at face value.

2 Likes

I’m tempted to create some fake accounts just so I can like this post a few more times. :slight_smile:

Echoing @emr - These last few episodes are really wonderful and making my weeks better. I’ve listened to this one and 74 twice while walking my dog. Lately, I’ve been focusing on the compound effects of my daily actions, so when Mike said something like, “As humans we drastically underestimate what we can get done in the long term and overestimate what we can get done in the short term.” I used that to ruminate and shift how I determine what action or habits will move the needle so I’m not stuck in client work and can focus on the bigger things. And David saying “Priority, not priorities” is equally helping me think different.

One thing I’d love to hear you both discuss is how you choose what moves the needle, what is best to work on and why. For me, its all about the weekly review and questions I ask myself like “What did I learn this week?” I’m paraphrasing here, but David said something in his blog post like “identifying what moves the needle was pretty easy for me” I guess I’d just love to hear you both expound on how you identify what moves the needle.

Thanks again! Keep it up. Fantastic podcast!

2 Likes

Did @MacSparky ever share his OmniGraffle goal calendar? Curious to see that and how I can implement it.

@JoeRome - See this link. https://www.macsparky.com/blog/2019/7/my-six-month-planning-wallpaper

I agree. I’ve implemented so much of this over the last few weeks and ended yesterday (Thursday) finishing my complete to-do list for the week (rather than pushing items to next week) and getting a head start today on next week and month so I can take a long weekend with the family to celebrate our eldest daughter’s birthday. It has made a huge difference for me!