A 1Password Nightmare and bad customer service

I love 1Password. I’m not switching to anything else, regardless of them taking VC.

But this exchange with one of my Twitter pals is awful, their response is awful, and why I think being able to have a local copy of, your passwords especially, is important.

I really don’t like how this is being handled but I don’t think there’s another robust solution out there.

You are correct. I always export my 1Password.com data every time I make a major change/addition. Backups are important.

3 Likes

1Password seem to have reached out to the original person:

Personally I’m not a fan of asking for support on Twitter. The character limit and public nature (especially for something like 1Password) make it hard for both sides to communicate properly.

5 Likes

This is a lesson I am learning but I do have those three passwords memorized.

I would imagine they have a social media person monitoring their account, rather than an engineer. I thought the initial response and follow up were okay, and directed the person in need to the right email address.
It wouldn’t be enough for me to burn it all down.

2 Likes

Looked at his Twitter account and said he figured out he could access his old passwords with WiFi off and exported them to a newly created account, and that he was remaining a 1P customer.

Ordinarily, unless a Twitter account is specifically a Support account don’t expect the individual(s) staffing it to be able to help much. But in this case 1Password’s website specifically gives equal weight to contact by forum, email and Twitter for support.

Please don’t downplay. A mistake is a mistake.

Naturally, a mistake is a mistake, but they’re also contacting this person via direct message to fix the issue - so it also seems to have been a mistake that was fixed.

2 Likes

If I lost all of my passwords, I would be in trouble. I would be upset, I would be freaking out. That is understandable.

I do not know about how the 1Password team handled this issue internally. But to some degree, I can understand how they have been handling it in the public.

My thoughts about this topic:

1. Make clear where to get the correct support. The 1Password Twitter account persons tried that, even if they misunderstood the inital request. I second @RosemaryOrchard’s concerns about asking for support via Twitter. I do not see anything useful coming out of that apart from putting pressure on a company. Then again, 1Password mentions their Twitter account for support…

2. Apparently, they do not offer support via telephone. With a sensitive matter like extremely personal data, it would be very difficult to deal with this on the phone. There are so many cases of social engineering by phone that had very severe consequences. Only two days ago, the German web hoster 1&1 had been fined under GDPR law with a fine of 10.6 million $ because of lousy customer data protection with regards to phone support.

3. “Do not put all your eggs in one basket.” Well, I had not done this before, but I just exported all my 1Password data into a text file. @WayneG has a point there. :slight_smile: I encrypted the file and stored it locally. I created a monthly task to repeat those exports. Things can go wrong everywhere. It might happen because of a mistake I have made or because of something somebody else did. It is weird that I have not done a backup of my most sensitive data in the past. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This seems like a good suggestion. May I ask a dumb question? Well, I guess I’m going to ask it anyway. :slight_smile: How does one encrypt a single file for storing on an external device? Is there an app on my Mac that I need for this purpose or is it already on the Mac and I’m simply not aware of it?

Obviously a file containing all of my 1Password information is extremely sensitive and one that I want to make sure is protected by strong encryption. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thank you.

That is not a dumb question!

I used 7-ZIP (https://www.7-zip.org) on my Windows VM running on my Synology NAS to create a 7Z-Archive encrypted with AES-256. I like 7Z because it works everywhere: macOS, Windows, Linux.

KEKA can also create 7Z-files under macOS: https://www.keka.io/en/

A different solution would be to create an encrypted folder with the file inside (probably the easiest way because it is built in into macOS):

This can be accomplished using Disk Utility. I do not like it very much because I am not living 100% in a Mac environment. :slight_smile:

That is very helpful, thanks!

Sure, there is always another solution! You can move over Dashlane, LastPass and I’m sure you have many more options out there. They all pretty much function in a similar way. Dashlane may even have more functionality.

Also, I’m going to come with a Keyboard Maestro Macro to export a CSV data file from 1Password so that I’m not always at the mercy of one company.

As far as recovering your account I’m not sure what you can do.

Moving over to another solution, albeit a smart decision, doesn’t solve the issue. Your password database can always get corrupted. Or something else may render it useless.

This thread (threat :wink: ) actually made me realize than an (encrypted) export might not be such a bad idea. Although I think I’m pretty safe by using my password manager on 3 different platforms and having multiple backups of the database.

Regarding the original post, even though I don’t have any details, let’s not forget that with 1Password Business members get Family accounts as well. This might have been the issue, and seems this was the one deleted with deactivating the Business account. I’d think the support for those Family accounts is provided by same Business support team. And this is why the Twitter person was actively directing to use the support email address.

Speaking of LastPass. It is owned by LogMeIn which may be purchased:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-11/francisco-partners-elliott-said-to-be-in-talks-to-buy-logmein

Why do you need Keyboard Maestro to do that?

1Password can do that right now, just select a vault qnd select export then decide what format you want it in. .CSV is one of the choices.

The reason to use Keyboard Maestro is that so you can automate the process on a daily basis. This way if you add or delete a 1Password entry your CSV file is always up to date.

I’d love to see how you end up doing that, so are you going to combine KM with automator or something to do it automatically on a set schedule or wil you just remember to do it once a day manually?

Keyboard Maestro is able to run macros automatically at a given time:

No need for further automation tools. :smiley: