A Beautiful Song and Rediscovering Music

One of the things I love about Apple Music is rediscovering beautiful music that I’d forgotten about. I recently rediscovered Andy Williams, in particular “The Impossible Dream.” The music and lyrics are beautiful. And, unlike too much music, the lyrics are soul enriching and inspiring rather than soul degrading. This isn’t about being old or new, (in music, and most things, we must avoid chronological snobbism), it is about the sheer beauty of music and lyric in qualitative and substantive harmony.

Regardless of your musical taste, take a listen. I’ve found that if I’m open minded about musical genres I discover music in genres that normally would not appeal to me. An example is country music. I don’t particularly care for the genre but I have found selected songs that I like. The same is true for “Traditional Pop, Easy Listening” to which this song belongs.

Take a listen.

“The Impossible Dream (The Quest)”

To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow,
To run where the brave dare not go.

To right the unrightable wrong,
To love pure and chaste from afar,
To try when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star.

This is my quest,
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless,
No matter how far.

To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march
Into hell for a heavenly cause.

And I know if I’ll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will be peaceful and calm
When I’m laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage.
To fight the unbeatable foe.
To reach the unreachable star.

3 Likes

That’s a memorable song. Thank you. I needed it today.

Apple Music is great for discovery. (Well, Spotify is, also.) The other day I discovered Renee Fleming’s performance of Samuel Barber’s Knoxville: Summer of 1915, set to a prose piece by James Agee. A piece I never knew, and now never want to forget.

1 Like

That was a new one for me. The lyrics are phenomenal. Thanks for sharing!

Years ago I carried around a 160gb iPod Classic that was pretty close to full, so I was really glad when the streaming services arrived. The discovery features have indeed been an excellent bonus.

For a different genre… Apple Music led me to a new favourite: Zeal & Ardor. The band makes metal music inspired and influenced by gospel, R&B, soul, and more. Wake of a Nation’s “Vigil” is something else:

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. While there are some genres I don’t particularly care for I have found some pieces to like in every genre.

This song brings back an old memory. When my college girlfriend’s roommate was a kid she thought for a long time that the 2nd verse started “To ride the unrideable roan”. As in roan colored horse. He sister was an artist and made a drawing of the “unridable roan”.

3 Likes

Music soothes the soul. A music streaming service, with suitable curation, is therefore a must for me. I am listening right now to a playlist I have called “Day’s End”. It’s comprised of tracks I love that are on the quieter, calmer end of the spectrum. As opposed to another playlist I have called “Cracking”. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I took piano lessons from elementary school through college. I was happy to learn enough as a kid to then pick out books and sheet music instead of the rudimentary instruction books (John Thompson anyone?). I don’t play much in my senior years now but when I do, the only book I play from is a show tunes book and this piece has been a favorite since the 1970s. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

And Andy Williams is a hometown favorite from my neighborhood in Cincinnati Ohio

1 Like

Both my wife and I are originally from OH. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like