A cautionary tale for those who depend on Gmail, Google Drive, etc

Did it ever come out why theirs was deleted?

My point earlier in the thread is the common user shouldn’t worry about their account being torched suddenly and without (a known) reason.

Except that is exactly what happened to me. An everyday average user who had done nothing to violate their TOS.

Do you have a bank account that sends emails to your Gmail address? What about PayPal? Other bills or statements? Are your iTunes/App Store purchases connected to an email address that ends with @Gmail/@Yahoo/@whatever that you do not control?

Have you ever tried to change your email address for a website when you don’t have access to the old email address?

It’s up to you whether or not you want to take that chance. Odds are that you won’t have a problem. The odds are that you won’t get into a car accident either, but hopefully you wear a seatbelt anyway.

7 Likes

I’m not convinced. They fixed that issue.

1 Like

Exactly. This is typically true for any type of server, unless you really, really know what you’re doing. :slight_smile:

I’m a web guy, and I’ve had clients ask if they could host their own website over their home Internet to save money. The answer of course is “well…yes, but it’s not a good idea.”

I run a company mail server, and it’s not just the mechanics of the mail serving itself - it’s all the interaction with the rest of the Internet that’s the problem. Just spam and blacklists is enough to drive the average person completely up a wall. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it would be well beyond “inconvenience” and probably well into “a day or more of work”. My bank, for example, that insists on sending me an email every other time I log in. Not a problem, but it would require a phone call if I couldn’t access the email. As TJ mentioned, multiply that by all the places that you’d have to change, and it turns into a Very Large problem.

And that doesn’t count the fact that people have presumably been corresponding with you at that email address, so that’s the address they’ll be sending to if they want to continue the conversation - whether that’s a day from now or a year from now.

Your mileage may vary, of course - but for a software dev I can see this being a very big deal.

But that was really the only problem in the first place.

Just to be clear about the issue at hand. Was this a g suite or gmail account? It looks like it’s the regular gmail account. I wonder if google can terminate a g suite account as easily?

I moved my domains from Network Solutions to Hover sometime in the last 10-ish years. If Hover has ever tried to sell me anything, I can’t remember it. I get email notices whenever a domain is up for renewal. That’s about it. I also got great support (can’t remember if it was phone, chat, or email) when I needed help doing whatever the MX thing is that moved my email domains from Network Solutions to Hover.

I’ve never used GoDaddy, but I can say that the move from Network Solutions to Hover was a significant improvement in terms of that kind of thing — feeling in control of my own stuff and not constantly worrying that I’m going to get charged for something I don’t need.

2 Likes

So did I. I called Hover, told them what I wanted to do, gave them my NS login info and they handled everything. It took a few days to complete the process, and I had to respond to an email or two from NS, but Hover would email me telling me what to expect and how to respond. Great service.

1 Like

Just like Apple! :wink:

Right, I mean its not like they would mysteriously disable a Presidential Candidates Adsense account at the peak of their popularity… oh wait…

Big Tech is a big problem. Take off the blinders.

2 Likes

Not to mention against the TOS on most “home” internet connections.

1 Like

Isn’t the problem that the app is known to be insecure? It sounds like an issue of “we updated the app on other platforms, but not iOS. Instead of updating on iOS, we’ll just hide the warning that it’s dangerous to use the app.”

Feels kind of like going to a mechanic shop because the engine temp light is on, and having them fix the problem by unplugging the light. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Google could easily fix security flaws through server-side updates if they wanted to.

What are you talking about?

Maybe, maybe not. Some issues legitimately do have to be addressed client-side.

That all said, that’s not what they’ve done - at least per their own warning messages. They’ve updated their app for other platforms to address the security issues, and give strongly-worded warnings for people who haven’t updated to the new version.

If I take Google at their word (before they selectively shut off the warnings for iOS users), the existing iOS apps are insecure and I need to update immediately or “accept the risks” of using an insecure app.

Shutting off the warning doesn’t change the underlying reality. :slight_smile:

I would wager that he’s talking about this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/11/08/why-did-google-take-action-against-some-pro-trump-ads-its-one-many-mysteries-its-political-ad-rules/

Without getting too political, I think it’s fair to say that the tech companies have a tremendous amount of power, and whether or not you agree with the particular outcomes of what they’re doing now, the fact that they can pretty much do these things with impunity is a significant potential issue.

Completely off topic, but I can’t help but feel singled out by this discusion. Everytime it pops up in the list, I see it and think for a moment that someone is calling me out :laughing:

7 Likes

I am talking about this. Coming off her best debate performance searches were off the charts and google mysteriously disabled her ability to run ads. Then made some bs excuse about why.

Exactly. So many people are turning a blind eye cause its not affecting them or their beliefs but make no mistake about it, the slope is slippery and it will come back around for them too.

1 Like

How about your name (or a version thereof) dot com or dot me?
I never understood it when Katie said she collected domains. Until I started collecting domains…

Just because I can’t resist, things eventually worked out…

2 Likes