A cautionary tale for those who depend on Gmail, Google Drive, etc

I’m always debating this one about going to a custom email. I know that my family doesn’t care that much about it. But most of the important things are attached to an @gmail or whatever “free account”

Domains
Financials
Medical
Schools

My domains used to all be on GoDaddy, got irritated with the pricing game that always happened. Moved 90% of them to Google Domains because it’s just a flat rate. Now I’m worried, that the Google Domains is attached to a personal account and not G Suite.

Thoughts?

I tried Google Workspace yesterday and don’t like that GW counted as new mail account. It means in order to make the custom domain my primary account, I have to transfer the Youtube Premium and Google One I already subscribed to.

I hope someday Google made decision to provide ‘upgrade with custom domain only’ plan priced <=30% of current cheapest GW.

I think it is quite straightforward:

If you are not the customer, then you are the product

2 Likes

I use Workspace/GSuite for both work and personal. I know at least I can get support that way.

1 Like

I personally would not put essential domains in the same Google account that controls an essential email address. Seems you could have trouble recovering them if they do something to your account.

Just as a completely random note, just had a customer go through some stupidity with their domain-based email address.

GoDaddy suspended their domain (that had been registered for multiple years already) because they “couldn’t verify the email”. Their GoDaddy contact was, of course, an email address at that domain - so it took multiple hours on the phone to get it through GD’s thick skulls that they couldn’t reply to the confirmation emails because GD had suspended the domain.

So sometimes it’s actually good to have an email apart from a domain email as a secondary verification - but it requires more diligence to ensure that all email addresses are accessible on an ongoing basis.

1 Like

For the secondary verification, I use a protonmail email.

1 Like

So if I subscribed to Workspace/GSuite, would I get support for my current free Gmail addresses?

I’m not sure. I started with a registered domain and I used that for the account.

Thanks for the reply.

Good question. I’ve never read anything to make me think they would help me with my free gmail. OTOH, because I have a paid account I do have a way to ask the question should the need arise.

It would be a pain to lose my free Gmail account, but a copy of all my messages are forwarded to my Google workspace account. And I think (hope) that would continue even if I’m locked out.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/1047213?hl=en#zippy=%2Cadditional-investigation%2Cpossible-solutions

I believe the product for that is called “Google One” which someone mentioned earlier. That seems to be the way to get support for your @gmail address.

1 Like

I’ve been paying $19.99/year for 100 GB Google Drive storage, evidently making me a Google One subscriber. (Please see SS.) So I guess I’ll get Gmail support if I ever need it. Hope I don’t.

I added my other Gmail accounts to the family plan so hopefully everything is covered.

It’s complicated.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

1 Like

A very simple rule to remember…

If you are paying money then you are the customer

If it’s “Free” then you are the product

1 Like

And in our next class we’ll learn the addendum to the rule:

If you’re not paying enough, in the opinion of whoever you’re buying from, you’re still the product - you’re just being charged for the privilege.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would like to note that the company/individual in the story from the OP did, in fact, get back online and put his game on Stadia. It is unclear whose fault it was as neither he nor Google have clarified.

For the latest edition of “person loses their Google account,” it seems some people are losing their Youtube accounts because they watched a livestream about the ongoing invasion of Ukraine:

It seems that the bans are due to an organized (possibly bot-driven effort) to report users. It’s unclear to me whether the Youtube bans led to additional loss of Google services.

We could talk for hours about the geo-techno-politico-social ramifications of this, but even before we get there, let me underscore the bare minimum takeaway for me: people have lost their accounts because they watched a video. Unreal.

(It appears that some people have retrieved these accounts after appealing.)

Unfortunately I think we’re the product whether we pay for services or not.

Have always found HEY’s responses from their support address timely. Invariably within 24 hours - if in their hours usually very quickly. Am in very different time-zone so clearly a little more complex time-wise. But even on weekends I occasionally get response.

1 Like

Look like YouTube is catching flack from all sides.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-24/google-faces-sanctions-dilemma-with-pro-russia-youtube-channels

1 Like