A few major Obsidian updates

It seems to depend on the Share destination. Reminders gets a link, Notes gets an attachment, Curiota gets an .md file.

As an alternative, Hook can create obsidian:// links.

Re: Reminders integration: It would be pretty trivial to set up the Shortcuts Launcher plugin to do anything you want via Shortcuts.

Obsidian link to the plugin

You could set that up to work with any app Shortcuts can integrate with.

2 Likes

Actually, that is what I’m looking for. Man, now I’m going to have to check out Obsidian again. I’m a Catalyst member so I believe I’m eligible for the Insider build. Right when I thought I had my workflow settled …. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m confused. Does the link point an Obsidian link or something else? I’d want it to point to the document I’m in. The scenario is I’m taking meeting notes and writing up follow-up tasks. I want to select each one or a group of them and share them via an Obsidian link to Reminders. Does this new version enable that?

Ah, so it’s share from Obsidian to someplace else.

I really really hope someday we can gain the ability to use Share extensions to share to Obsidian, too.

But, overall, I’m enjoying the new 0.16 version. Tabs are cool – though having the tab bar with tabs for tabs from different vaults would be cool+. I have the native (i.e., macOS-style) menu’s activated. Alls good, but also feels a bit weird. I was so used to Obsidian’s own menu styles that there’s a momentary jolt when I see the macOS style menu pop open.

The Obs team, mods, plugin devs, testers, documenters – that’s a real dream team.

Katie

1 Like

The link points to the markdown file in the filesystem, and would presumably be opened by the default application for markdown. An Obsidian link would open the file in the vault.

However, the shortcuts plugin @ryanjamurphy mentioned looks like it would be a solution for both our needs, although you/someone would have to write a Mac shortcut to parse the incoming text and process it into Reminders. Probably not that difficult - I’ve done similar things before (based on the work of others!)

2 Likes

That’s the issue – it isn’t free unless you only use it for personal (unrelated to work) notes, or if you are a company of one (freelancer, etc.) using it for work. For a professional working for a company, it’d be $50 a year for the commercial license + $96 for sync. I could be wrong, but I think that makes it the most expensive note-taking app on the market for a working professional.

I suspect that they are either missing out on revenue from a significant subset of their potential user base because of this licensing and pricing model, or there are a lot of users on the Personal plan when they should be on Commercial. No company I’ve worked for would pay for an Obsidian license when OneNote is available at no extra cost, especially not at $146 a year. That means working professionals would have to pay the bill, and that’s a ton of money. One could subscribe to Office 365 for less, or Evernote Professional for less, or Drafts, or Ulysses, etc.

You can use it for work or personal use as long as you have a cloud provider to sync. Plus, you are in control of your data.

I have to compliment how stable this feels for a major-update-first-insider-build. :grin: I recall 0.15.0 insider broke my UI so badly I had to revert to 0.14.x and didn’t even trust re-updating to 0.15.x until several public updates in. But 0.16.0 insider is buttery smooth for me so far for all of its broad changes. Probably helped by the fact I’m on the Minimal theme.

1 Like

That’s true, but to be clear, it’s $50 a year for the Commercial license without sync. (The commercial license is required if you will be keeping work notes in Obsidian and you work for a company of >1 employee.) Not quite the $150 for Commercial + sync, but still a good bit more than free. Note that I’m not advocating for free, it’s just that $50 a year without sync is still significant, and $100 more per year to add sync is crazy. Maybe I’m not the target audience but I don’t understand how so many people are willing to pay $150 a year for this app, especially when Evernote’s pricing seems to be a major sticking point and is cheaper.

I tried this, but in Reminders, I got the error shown below. I went into Finder to grant permission per the help instructions but to no avail. I must be doing something wrong.

The only way I can get it to work is to copy the Obsidian URL into the Reminders note field, which I could do before the latest Insider Build.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.37.02 PM

This is one reason why I use the “.txt” file extension for all my plain text files. To me, a Markdown file is just a text file. So any app that I have that can open and edit a text file can work with it on those terms. Editors (like Byword or NotePlan, for example) can be allowed to go a little further and interpret some of that plain text as beautiful Markdown formatting. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s certainly one of the more expensive options. I occasionally share a note in UpNote which becomes available on the web via a “secret” URL for £1 a month. It’s really useful for a document that might be updated regularly, rather than emailing a PDF that becomes out of date.

To publish a note with Obsidian (without a workaround) would be $20 a month. I appreciate it’s a much bigger feature, but still an expensive option compared to other web hosting options.

I get the same error. I also get it when I add a file://... link to a reminder in Reminders. I’ll call this a Reminders / macOS bug.

Katie

1 Like

So what you’re saying is no file extension works? Gotcha.

Good catch. Probably the Share Sheet option tries to give Reminders the whole file, but Reminders doesn’t know what to do with it. Not sure if it’s something Obsidian can control but I’ll try to report it over there.

Edit: nvm, @KVZ is likely right. I think the fix would still be changing what Obsidian serves up to reminders via the Share Sheet. We’ll see!

My guess is that Obsidian serves up the same object to any app on the Share sheet, and the items that appear on Share in Obsidian are those that registered themselves with macOS as accepting file://... . So Reminders basically says “sure, give me file URLs”, but doesn’t know how to open them.

Katie

2 Likes

I have found Obsidian iCloud sync to be reliable. I only use it occasionally, but it’s there when I need it.

2 Likes

Oh, and I’m enjoying the new tabs already.

When they came out yesterday(?) I was all meh that’s nice but it’s not for me.

But this morning, I wanted to open a new document while keeping easy access to the document I was currently working on. This has always been a bit tricky in Obsiidan–but now I thought, “Great Scott! I can just use tabs for that!” And I did.

3 Likes

@ryanjamurphy thanks. I’m glad to know it isn’t just me. :slightly_smiling_face: