A few major Obsidian updates

I felt like this when I first started playing in Obsidian, but the actual app itself is free, and I was so impressed with it that I bought the sync just to support the developers. As others have pointed out, there are ways to sync for free, e.g. iCloud if you’re only on Apple OS. Many people do this and there’s lots of support available if you get stuck. But you may find that like me you love its functionality and want to pay for it. That’s how a good developer gets you :grimacing:

I actually do the bare minimum in Obsidian, I’m not sure I even care about any of these updates. I just really appreciate having a nice markdown editor where I can do work research and link it to other notes. That’s pretty much all I use it for!

Just linking up the commercial license, so people can read / evaluate:

I agree with your interpretation - single-person companies don’t need the license. But the “contributes to a bottom line somewhere” doesn’t seem to be the case:

Q12: I use Obsidian during work for things like writing down team processes and taking notes for team meetings, do I need a commercial license?

If you are a single-person company, then you do not require a commercial license. Otherwise, if you have more than one person in the company, then you would require a commercial license.

Basically, it’s “how many people does your company have?” More than 1 requires a commercial license, no matter what the usage is.

Gotcha. This makes more sense, and feels less open to interpretation.

I’ve been testing 0.16 for the past few days, and I really like it.

1. The tabs implementation is useful & straightforward
  2. The updated UI looks and feels nicer to use. Nobody is going to mistake it for a fully native app, but it’s a substantial improvement on what came before. (I’m using the Minimal theme beta, updated for 0.16)

Of course, the biggest open question is whether @Bmosbacker’s fortitude will hold out… :smiley:

3 Likes

@shandy I’m delighted to report that it’s holding. :joy: That is not to say that I wasn’t sorely tempted, I was. :blush:

However, and I’m going to post this as a separate thread, I figured out a way to future proof my documents, especially my writing, research and presentations without the need to use plain text. If this works as well as it seems to be thus far, I will be a happy camper and it doesn’t involve changing my applications or fundamental workflow.

1 Like

As ever I believe that the devs make no predictions about releases - until they drop. But I too have been clicking ‘check for updates’ a bit more frequently. I think I’m patient enough to wait and let others discover the bugs, but 0.16 looks really exciting.

I wonder too whether Obsidian is ever scheduled to reach v. 1.0; and what would constitute a fully grown app in that respect!

3 Likes