A personal CRM - can't find a good solution

I think it depends what the CRM is for, many are sales pipeline orientated which may not be what you want it for.

I have experimented with Ulysses, Agenda and currently DayOne using a combination of automation and tagging. All have worked well.

Currently I use the “nickname” field in contacts as an automation trigger to tag records in DayOne, called by a simple shortcut. The same nickname for each client is also used as tags and SAL names In Omnifocus, and my finder folder structure so everything matches up.

These may give you some inspiration to roll your own.

http://theolddesigner.co.uk/articles/a-crm-for-one
http://theolddesigner.co.uk/articles/agenda-app-as-a-crm

1 Like

Folk CRM was built but then closed down. It’s exactly what I’m looking for!

It sounds like Notion wants to do more than a Numbers spreadsheet. I just saw this post about using Notion as a CRM.

https://medium.com/@ukcharlietaylor/using-notion-as-a-personal-crm-7c6ddd7c95a6

2 Likes

This is something I’m interested in and haven’t found a good solution

I made a Trello board for this. I make a list for each month and I have a card for each person I am trying to keep in touch with.

I move their card to the current month’s list when I talk to them and I make comments on the card as needed.

Busy Contacts is severely limited. It’s doesn’t even allow you to type a letter to a contact or address an envelope.

I’m curious what you’re using for your CRM now. I’ve started to use Trello to keep track of interactions and also tasks. Are you still using Agenda and if so what plan are you on?

Hi

No changed again (of course) :flushed: and trying just to run off the native filing system and keep away from apps I do not need or cloud based apps where data is not always accessible.

I am using a combination of Drafts, an action to file a formatted with a date-client-title .md file, to a folder marked _inbox in Dropbox with Hazel rules to file to a _Notes folder in each clients individual folder.

I just found Agenda an overhead (same with Evernote, Devonthink, Keep it, Notion etc) I did not need, so many text processing and bucket apps now, when really a logical filing system will do most of what I need.

Markdown is now done with drafts on iOS, and Sublime text on a Mac, with Marked app for visual checking.

While it does not give me an easy date based overview it gives me a easy access to every clients notes and if I needed to search by date I could just do a search for 2019-09*.md for example.

I am looking at automating this further by running the drafts action on a timer which automatically processes anything in the inbox tagged with “crm” and then archives it.

Agreed… this is well worth a try. Notion has so much going for it - I just hope it keeps going with its development. But this template give a lot of insight as to how to use Notion better. A huge shout out to Charlie Taylor for the share! You can find Charlie on Twitter.

@stevek I’ve been in the crm space for many moons.
I think capsulecrm might work well for you. https://capsulecrm.com/

Great product. Easy on the eyes. Simple, inexpensive and not bloated. Second to none on support. I wish I could find my affiliate link! :blush:

If you end up choosing it, tell them I referred you.

CiviCRM and NeonCRM are other favorites and more than you are looking for.

Cheers
Neil

2 Likes

A hitch with using BusyContacts for CRM (which I have access to through SetApp): Catalina does not allow apps to access Mail and Messages, which was a key feature of BusyContacts.

Yes, “was.” No apps have that access any more after Catalina. Every developer this affects, from BusyMac to Houdah, asks users to submit feedback to Apple to rescind the restriction.

FYI one workaround BusyContacts offers is that it can work with mail if you are also using MailMate on the Mac.

Guys, silly question, but what’s a CRM?

Customer Relationship Management software.

Thanks. What’s it for?

Click the link and you’ll find out. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

Actually Mailmate can be set up to store mail in a location which spotlight (and HoudahSpot) can search…

So a combination of DevonThink, Mailmate and HoudahSpot can make a pretty decent CRM with a bit of setting up and smart folder/smart search magic

Maybe, but it isn’t a good cross-platform solution. At this point I think most people in the Mac ecosystem also have iPhones (and possibly iPads as well) so a Mac-only process probably isn’t ideal now.

Just pointing out that searching mail on a Mac as BusyContacts (also MacOS exclusive) used to was still possible with an email external mail client

In my case I nearly always have access to a Mac or never more than a couple of hours away, and frankly nothing I would need a fully fledged CRM for is so important it could not wait a couple of hours.

The ‘always on’ culture creates an expectation that we need to always have everything doable and available now, training people to expect short delays makes for a far less stressful existence, always on just creates stress inducing and unrealistic expectations in clients.

I understand, but being a few hours away from my Mac is reason enough to want a cross-platform option to make contemporaneous notes. When I’m updating it’s typically while I’m on (or just off) the phone, so an iPhone app really is a necessity for me.

It might be different for an officeworker who primarily updates user accounts after receiving emails/texts but I don’t want to have to futz with creating notes apps on my iPhone that I later need to export into a CRM at home.