A question for Post Grads and Academics

I have to say, Word and Zotero served me well through my degree for production of submitted works. It just worked once I set up the styles.

For research/note-taking I initially used OneNote (where I also kept journals, clippings, annotations). It was fine, but I replaced it with Zotero’s own annotation and note-taking features, which were recently released, and Obsidian.

2 Likes

Obsidian. Devonthink. Bookends. Perfect combination in my experience as an academic. Then something like Ulysses or scrivener (the latter I rarely use now as the iPad version is rather frustrating)

1 Like

I’m about to start on a Masters in Biblical and Theological Studies as well. DEVONthink is the core of my system for linking , storage and retrieval. Playing with Obsidian for not taking with notes store in DT.

If I might ask, why Scrivener versus Pages or Word?

1 Like

Scrivener is not a word processor. Its a writing tool kit. The idea is that it’s a suite of tools, including a text editor, but also outlining, a cork board, note taking, research storage (.pdf files, web pages, images). It’s a writing and editing work space, meant to help you research, plan, and draft your text, then export it for editing/formatting in Pages or Word or whatever.

Go to literature and Latte and watch some videos; Scrivener is vast and can be over whelmimg, but you don’t have to use all the tools.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community! Glad I could be a part of your reason for posting.

I didn’t use Scrivner myself, I used Ulysses and the typically put it into Pages for styling and then exported as a PDF for submission. (Sometimes I went Ulysses to Word depending on the professor).

I personally liked the writing environment of Ulysses, but in reality, I probably would have been just as happy using Pages.

2 Likes

@Medievalist says it all about Scrivener. It might be useful for writing your thesis which might be a long and complicated document. I say might only if you find it useful to you. Check with your student friends if any use it and what they think. Build a support network.

Check out Scrivener yourself now (while you presumably have time) with a free trial that has liberal terms for how long you can use it before having to buy a license.

I have used Scrivener (and Word, and Pages) for years and I find Scrivener (and Word, and Pages) incredibly useful. I wish I had Scrivener for my dissertation (decades ago).

Literature & Latte runs an online forum and there are some terrific people posting there that you can learn from.

That being said, as I said above, keep things simple and productive, but focus on your studies. No need to put a fine-tooth comb on these tools. Use what you know, what you can learn, and what you can benefit from.

2 Likes

FYI, the price for Scrivener, and Scapple will be going up soon (per their tweet), so if you’re on the fence…

4 Likes

Good advice, thank you

1 Like

One other point for Scrivener - semi-related -if you end up teaching, Scrivener’s Corkboard mode (which I rarely use otherwise) is unbeatable in my experience as a tool for creating syllabi - export potential readings one per document and you can start with a big messy brainstorm and end up with neat lists by day and week without leaving Scrivener.

6 Likes

Could you elaborate a bit on what you are doing here and how the corkboard is helping please? What you describe you are using it for sounds interesting and potentially quite useful, but i haven’t understood properly.

2 Likes