A quick way to fix photos that are upside down?

I have two issues that I think cause a quirky issue in my photo library.

First off, about 8-9 years ago, my iPhoto (at the time) library was corrupt. I restored the library from a backup, but a number of the photos were flipped upside down. If you’d like to hear a story just sit right there, I’ll tell you how I became the prince of a town called – I digress…

I had chalked up these “upside down” photos to whatever went wrong in my library. That said, I’m also left-handed, so my landscape shots often involve me turning the phone clockwise, not counter clockwise. I could be wrong, but I think that also results in some upside down photos.

Anyway, point is - as I scroll through my photo library and as they appear in the “memories” widget, I’d say approximately 2% of the images are upside down. I haven’t paid much attention to it over the years, aside from fixing the photos when I have the time and inclination.

My question to the MPU braintrust though – is there some utility I could use that would scan through my library and say “oh, these 1,300 photos are upside down, want me to correct them all”, so I can be done with the issue once and for all?

I suspect the issue will be how does the Mac know what “right side up” is if I took the photo with a weird orientation. I’m just getting tired of seeing periodic flashes of upside down photos in my memories and such so I’d love a way to “batch” a fix for all of them.

Given enough time for AI & ML to do their thinking and processing, Google Photos will suggest photos that need rotating. You might want to sync the library to Google Photos to give it a go (or test with a subset of images).

In the iOS app, make sure that in Account > Google Photos Settings > Notifications > Suggested rotations is on. It sometimes seems to work only for newly uploaded images, so use the assistant right away when it detects these images as it might not be available for older images afterwards if the assistant is dismissed and there is no way to run it manually. In any case it takes some time for Google Photos to detect these so give it a while after you upload.

Google Photos will ask for a permission and will update images in Photo Library afterwards so that’s not an issue. It will also let you review all the suggestions before applying any changes.