A win for AirTags! šŸˆ

So the neighbor that backs up too my backyard is known in the neighborhood for trapping pet cats and taking them out to the middle of nowhere and releasing them.

The other day he messed up and trapped a cat that had an AirTag in the collar. Now heā€™s the kind of guy that if he has a cell phone, itā€™s a flip phone so he wouldnā€™t have received any alerts that there was an AirTag following him.

After being confronted by the cats owner and another neighbor he was recorded admitting to moving the cat. Legally he he can trap them on his property but has to bring them to the animal shelter, not drive 30 miles away to dump it in the middle of nowhere.

He has now been charged with a Class B misdemeanor and canā€™t trap animals on his property.

Thank you Apple!! :joy:

17 Likes

Well, what about shooting them on his propertyā€¦?!

Uhm, what?! Youā€™re advocatingā€¦ shooting someoneā€™s pet just b/c it went on someone elseā€™s property?! Weā€™re not talking about a poorly-trained dog attacking someoneā€™s kid hereā€”theyā€™re cats, wandering across someoneā€™s lawn. Maybe they accidentally got out?

I believe heā€™s wondering if the neighbor is also restrained from killing the animals. Not advocating for it.

This is a great Air Tag success story!

No, itā€™s in town. No shooting.

No, but I could imagine in the US, that people like those neighbor would find an other ā€œsolutionā€ for his ā€œsituationā€.

This is unfortunately no problem, with a silencer on the .22!

Thatā€™s a great story.

Relocating cats like that is abuse. So many people think that cats that are outside can easily survive if theyā€™re taken out of their territory, but that is not true. In fact, even wildlife doesnā€™t fare well if it is forcibly moved into another location.

But he sounds like the kind of guy that doesnā€™t care about the catsā€™ welfare but simply thinks he should be allowed to use any method to stop them from coming into his yard. I hope heā€™s learned that harming animals will get him into trouble and that he invests in a few motion-activated sprinkler systems to keep the cats out of his yard.

1 Like

People find unique solutions to their problems in every country.

I honestly wouldnā€™t put it past him. He set up trail cameras on his small residential yard ā€œto monitor the movements of the catsā€.

You donā€™t shoot cats just because they are on your property! My aunt used to celebrate every time one showed up, with firecrackers. :grinning:

3 Likes

Itā€™s my guess that the catnapper is a bird lover. Itā€™s estimated that a pet cat kills on average 34 birds a year.

3 Likes

No, heā€™s just a grumpy old man with nothing better to do with his time.

I think someone should trap him - drive him into the wilderness and make him free.

2 Likes

Itā€™s still illegal, even if itā€™s practical.

In the United States, getting a silencer is an expensive proposition, with a fair bit of government paperwork. You also, if I remember correctly, need permission from your local law-enforcement.

Owning one without the proper paperwork is a felony ā€“ which Iā€™m guessing most people arenā€™t willing to risk just to be able to shoot cats. :slight_smile:

Of course it is illegal, but catching a cat, and driving it somewhere else is illegal, too.
And you can get a Silencer within 42 States in the US, you just have to run thru some paperwork and the usual background check with the ATF and pay the Fee of 200$ to get the permission.

Catch & release of feral cats is actually something a number of organizations do in the United States.
Frequently they catch, neuter / verify that itā€™s neutered, and release. I would assume that the act by itself isnā€™t illegal since they do it right out in the open and promote that they do it.

Probably a different deal if you know itā€™s somebodyā€™s pet, of course. :slight_smile:

Where I live you can capture any animal thatā€™s on your property but have to turn them into the animal shelter. It becomes illegal when you move them offsite.

1 Like