Accessing iCloud device backups (without restoring)… is it possible?

So my iPad Pro died (A Tale of Two Woes: Reckon my iPad Pro is done for? - #8 by jsamlarose). Painful, but I’ve got a 2016 MacBook that I never used, and it turns out that the combination of that and my iPad Mini is a really good fit. Turns out planned redundancy isn’t a half-bad disaster plan…

The majority of my documents are safe, but I’ve come to discover that a few of my apps were storing files locally on the device, as opposed to in iCloud (my fault for not adjusting default storage settings in those ones). Nothing mission critical— I do try to ensure that things are accessible from the cloud to avoid downtime if I lose a device— so it’s more a matter of slight inconvenience than severe breakdown. But I’m curious. So…

a) I’m assuming that the iCloud backup of my device holds files stored locally on that device?
and if that assumption is correct…
b) is there any way to access an iCloud device backup if you’re not simply restoring a device from that backup? Is there some way to download it so I can review the files with iMazing or some other, similar tool?

Thanks in advance,

Unless someone knows differently, my understanding is that an icloud device backup restore is all or nothing.

You’d need to restore the backup to a device and then find the files you need.