ACE on M1 Big Sur

I’d like to get my beloved Airfoil and SoundSource apps from Rogue Amoeba on my M1 MacBook Air but Apple has changed their security model again. I am reluctant to install the required ACE plugin/extension involving multiple restarts and using Recovery Mode to accept a Reduced Security setting. Has anyone done this? How did you feel about the process?

It’s fully automated and works fine. I didn’t have to go through all that on my M1 MBP.

Here’s my summary of how I feel about it:

https://twitter.com/tjluoma/status/1397621766869196810

Apple is good-intentioned, no doubt, but allowing access to system audio should not require this. That’s absurd, but it’s not Rogue Amoeba’s fault, it’s Apple’s. I’m not going to let Apple prevent me from using the most useful audio apps on the Mac just because they’ve gone overboard and haven’t come up with a better way for this to work.

Apple’s process for allowing this is stupid and convoluted, but I also don’t feel like it’s that much of a risk.

So, in short, I’ve done it, I felt it was overly-complicated and completely unnecessary, but it’s also a one-time thing, and I haven’t thought about it since.

YMMV, of course.

1 Like

Sadly, this has not been my experience on my M1 MBA with macOS 11.4. Since your reply, I downloaded Airfoil again and attempted to install.

I’m in agreement with you. It offends me that software I’ve used for years should be blocked unless I perform this Mickey Mouse dance (apologies to Mickey).

UPDATE: The native Airplay interfaces on my new M1 MacBook Air seem to work better than what I remember on the 2018 Intel-based MacBook Pro.

The Airplay chooser in the Music App has reliably played my iTunes-purchased content to four sets of speakers scattered around the house, And when I want to throw audio from Safari or another app up on a speaker, the built-in Sound widget on the menubar has let me easily select one of the speaker pairs, which has been enough.

So, the long and the short of it is that, for now, I am reconciled to no longer having the AirFoil and SoundSource apps from Rogue Amoeba to use. (sigh)

I never used AirFoil, but you won’t find me using a Mac without SoundSource!

my feeling about every one of their apps (except for airfoil, I have no use for that one).

it’s going to be a sad day when Apple completes their lockdown of macOS and companies like Rogue Amoeba will be left out in the cold.

Yup. Pour one out for Rogue Amoeba and all the other great developers who have had their ideas and efforts engulfed by macOS.

Apple won’t even let RA apps in the AppStore except for Fission…