Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop

Any recommendations on where to learn how to get a good handle on Illustrator and/or Photoshop? I am doing very basic things which I know take me too long. If I knew the program better or more tools, that would probably help. Suggestions?

Have you tried Lynda.com? There is tons and tons of stuff on YouTube and elsewhere but not as nicely packaged as in Lynda

FYI many public library systems like New York’s offer free access to Lynda classes.

I learned with the official Adobe books (‘Classroom in a book’ series) from Apple Books Store. I’ve used them for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Audition and Xd and they were all easy to follow and really well written.

First off, Illustrator and Photoshop are two VERY different applications that does two different jobs, but I’m sure you have already found that out :slight_smile:

I would recommend that you start out with one or the other, as both have some learning curve to them. Also, it would be easier if you start with an actual project, a job you need to do right now and try to apply your learning to that task.

There are tons of online education available, like Udemy, SkillShare and LinkedIn Learning (formerly Lynda), as well as free resources on YouTube and the myriad of design related sites. In your situation, I do think a couple of paid courses (or a time limited subscription) would serve you best, as they tend to be of very high quality and cover a lot of ground.

Good luck!

Also, if you prefer to learn from a proper book, I just received the following offer from Adobe Press. Currently 35% off using Discount Code CC2020.

Disclaimer: I have not used these books myself since the CS6 days, but at that time, I found them very good.

I still think you learn the most per minute in these two classics:

1 Like