Ads for Relay podcasts in More Power Users

It’s the saltiness for me. A CUSTOMER comes to the forums to voice a concern and you get salty. Makes me reconsider giving you any of my money in the future. Do you even appreciate your customers/listeners? Im sure you do so why get all salty to a customer.

3 Likes

As a fellow content creator, I understand. There simply are customers that are not worth keeping. Your audience is never going to be the whole world; there are people you don’t want to keep to make sure you get to the people you can truly connect with. It’s absolutely necessary to hear feedback but it does not mean you have to act on it every time especially on the Internet where all reactions quickly become flames and (sometimes ridiculous) outrage. (I generally include myself in the aforementioned adjectives.)

2 Likes

I actually really like the cross promotion - I learn about things I didn’t know were on Relay FM. Honestly I subscribe because I love the show and want to support it - not because I need it to be add free. But I understand that is not the case for everyone.

1 Like

I’m 100% pro cross-promotion. I would want it in ad free podcasts.

1 Like

I don’t know what’s the point of saying you’d love to see ads in ad free podcasts. You can just listen to ad supported version.

It’s absolutely not acceptable to have ads in PAID, ad free podcasts, no matter how you paint it. This is not about how many people like or dislike it, it’s just a principle. Otherwise it’s scam to advertise the podcasts as ad free.

4 Likes

Clearly a lot of people on this thread see a distinction between ads (paid messages from a third party) and cross-promotion of Relay.fm’s other content (unpaid messages from the podcaster).

Clearly you don’t see a distinction, which is also a valid position. But it doesn’t mean everyone else is wrong and somehow violating a absolute universal principle.

2 Likes

The ad (one ad, unless I missed some others) caught me by surprise a bit but I’m not super p***ed off about it. In my mind, the subscription was more about supporting the show. Eliminating the ads was more of a side benefit. Just my $.02.

I see cross-promotion within the relay network as different from ads and am quite happy to have them in the ‘more’ versions

Yes I can also see a distinction. But ads are ads no matter how much you like them. I just haven’t see a valid point to convince me otherwise.

It’s not always the case where two opposite opinions are both correct in some degree. Here the black and white are pretty clear.

The Relay ads* have irked me, but upon considering my membership I looked again at the Relay marketing for membership. On the Relay.fm Membership page, it says this (bold emphasis mine):

When you become a Relay FM member, you’ll get access to exciting bonus content while directly supporting your favorite hosts. Your support helps us to keep making the podcasts you love. Here are the benefits you’ll receive:

• Access to the Relay FM Members Discord
  • A monthly behind-the-scenes newsletter
  • Relay FM wallpaper packs for both desktop and mobile
  • Special podcast content including our Annual Specials, Backstage and Fusion, all published in a single feed.
    All Relay FM members can enjoy these benefits, regardless of their membership plan. Members of the “Crossover” plan have their support split between all Relay hosts, or can choose to directly support a number of shows directly:

Now, for me, that all seems great and a good enough reason to become a member. I like the content, I want to support it. No, I should say I really like the content.
Then clicking through to MPU it says:

More Power Users: Ad-free episodes with regular bonus segments

And the more pedantic side of me raises its hackles, unfortunately.
If MPU never mentioned the ad-free side of the bargain I’d be much happier! Or, just fairly said that external ads were removed.
In fact, I’d be happier to pay a little tip for More Power Users and get all the ads, than pay for More Power Users and get 1st party ads surreptitiously.

-* Personal opinion: they advertise so they are ads.

3 Likes

Clearly not every one agrees on the nature of the the cross promos but as I said a couple weeks ago, it’s a new program and we’ve been gathering feedback.

As of the last few episodes, we’ve pulled the promos from the member version. They’ll continue to be in the public version, as I think it’s an important thing for the network and our hosts.

Thanks y’all.

9 Likes