Advice please: index or not in Devonthink through the Finder?

Ghostnote allows attaching notes to files and applications. It is more integrated into macOS, rather than providing a new front end like DT.

Hook also provides the ability to link files to other files, so would provide the ability to associate notes (mind maps, spreadsheets, etc.) with files. Again, more integrated into macOS than DT.

These aren’t exact replacements for DT, but alternatives with different paradigms.

2 Likes

Ghostnote looks interesting - it does not have anywhere near the search capability of DT3 nor custom metadata but I can see how it may be a useful alternative paradigm for some focused situations.

Hook has essentially no front end to search for or recall existing hooks - I cannot see it as useful except on a very small scale.

Actually not. I dabbled in DT for a while but it was only in the last 2 years that I went all in on it. Nearly left after the horror of DT3 and I still use DT 2 regularly but I’m hoping they will bring back lost functionality that went away in DT3.

First off I do not use iCloud nor do I want ANYTHING that does sync that is not in my personal control. In fact a requirement for using iCloud, DropBox or other outside sync services is a non-starter for me for any app. So one of the biggest values I get from DT is that I can set up my own sync on my own WebDAV server and sync all my devices without anyone or any other company having any access at all.

I can set up multiple compartmentalized databases with appropriate access as required.

I can annotate and add notes easily in many different formats.I can create and use my own metadata

I can extract all my carefully curated data and items out easily and I can move the files and info to other systems if necessary.

I would most certainly use it in spite of the issues I have with DT3 if I was starting over as it’s the best thing I’ve found for my needs.

4 Likes

I have been using DT3 since beta days. No problems. I use both Indexed (files external to DT3) and inside DT3. Far as i can tell all files that are inside DT3 are findable via “finder/spotlght” in addition to using DT3’s superior file searching/mgmt methods. See the Database properties to turn on.

@OogieM: suggest you take your problems to the DEVONthink forum and get them sorted.

To index or not … not a crucial decision. Do it one way, and if you don’t like, then undo it. Easy.

I have in excruciating detail with screen shots and more. I have 2 big issues. 1 is with the loss of the DT 3 Pane view. That is something that DT says they won’t change and I’m still struggling to replicate workflows and simple methods of accessing my files that work. Recent additions are a baby step in the right direction but frankly DT doesn’t give a Sh** about trying to understand why 3PV was so great. That is my primary reason to go back into DT 2 all the time and is one thing that may actually push me out of DT into something else. Problem is I can’t find anything better so I stick with rev 2.

The other is the persistent issue with creating a daily backup archive failing with one database or hanging during backup for at one point up to 36 hours. That is being worked through with Support but still no joy.

2 Likes

frankly DT doesn’t give a Sh** about trying to understand why 3PV was so great. how people actually use their software.

There, I fixed it for you.

1 Like

I’ll accept that correction :slight_smile:

That is why I find myself back in DT2 on a very regular basis.

1 Like

The way to get their attention is to get yourself a tech blog and attract a few 100K follows to your Twitter feed. Write a few books. Then use your outdoor voice on that bully platform. Otherwise, we’re not the folks who influence the direction of DEVONthink software, it seems.

2 Likes

I would describe Devon Technologies as “opinionated” designers – resembling Apple itself in some ways – rather than “not giving a sh-t.” But the difference may not be a large one for people frustrated by the product.

More here:

The general discussion of DevonThink, which I started, doesn’t answer the OP question so I’ll stop talking here now.

1 Like

True, but I nevertheless appreciate the discussion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re a patient man, sir!

1 Like

I’ve learned that nothing is gained with impatience. Besides, many on this forum have been extremely helpful to me.

2 Likes

I think the word “German” may also be a useful descriptor in this case :slight_smile:

As much as I like DevonThink, I think DevonTech would benefit from a broader perspective.

I have come to think the same about Apple in the past few years as well.

4 Likes

Yes, being an opinionated designer works but only as long as you are producing an excellent product.

I have long thought of Apple as being comparable to the soup Nazi, whose business model works only as long as the soup is ambrosial.

1 Like

In the DEVONthink forums it’s not uncommon for readers to be told “thanks for your comments, but we’re not changing because that’s not what our customers want”.

That always leaves me reacting “Wait, what? the people that just asked for something different – e.g., 3 Pane View – aren’t they ‘customers’ also? Didn’t they just tell you what they want?”

3 Likes

That was my experience in email as well, over the course of a few years. That, and not addressing a specific repeatable bug (until a year after I dropped the app).

What have you replaced it with? I can’t find anything that comes close to what I use in DT even witht he loss of 3PV. Plus, I go back into rev 2 for that regularly.

I don’t need all DTP’s features. I switched to EagleFiler in October 2016 (after nine years of DevonNote, then DevonThink, then DTP) mainly for select file storage. It’s a solid, well-supported and maintained Mac app.

But these days I’ve felt more and more that I want to have a Mac/iOS solution, so I’ve slowly been investigating and testing using Notebooks, an app I’ve owned for a while, despite not wanting to have to rely on a Dropbox subscription if possible.

Non-starter. I require access to at least some of my databases on my iOS devices.

Notebook is a non-starter due to the cloud centric nature of the system.

I really wish DEVON would just fix DT3 by returning 3Pane View.

I use “see also” a lot. I can’t tell you exactly what I do with what I see. I just sort of scan it and somehow sometimes I see something I need.

1 Like