I’m considering replacing my 2010 High Sierra iMac with a 2020 M1 Mac Mini (or a new iMac). There are some potential complications and preparatory tasks:
- The iMac has a 256 GB internal SSD (replaced stock ca. 2015) and a 2 TB internal HD (with about .5 TB free). I don’t want to pay for a massive internal SSD on the Mini, probably would get a 512 GB.
- But…I have several important folders symlinked from the SSD to the HD (Dropbox, Music, Photos, maybe 1-2 others) - this seems much more breakable if I have the HD as an external drive (thinking I would use the two drives in the current iMac as externals).
- My iTunes library on the iMac has always been “canonical” i.e. it has all my original ripped CDs while my other devices use Apple Music. What would happen with this in the upgrade / transfer from High Sierra to Big Sur? I’m not sure yet whether I’d use Migration Assistant (if it works from HS to BS) or manually bring stuff over.
- I have a ton of photos in Aperture in the iMac which I’d need to move to Apple Photos or elsewhere (fortunately all referenced files) - doing this would probably make my iCloud Photos library too big to keep a copy on my MBP or iPad Pro.
- I can’t see the LG Ultrafine 4k in person - how does it compare to the new retina iMac screens?
Any advice, suggestions, warnings etc. are most welcome.