Affinity Offering a 6 Month Free Trial - No Strings Attached

I received this email today. I own their apps. This seems like such a good deal I thought I’d pass it along for those who may be interested.

Here is the email I received:

Barrett, with all the discourse in the creative community at the minute, we’ve had quite a few mentions on social media and in the press naming Affinity as one of the best alternatives for those looking to switch up their photo editing and design software – which has of course been absolutely amazing to see.

But as you may already know, it can take time to adapt working methods to a new software, and potential customers have said they’d value an extended trial period to get used to the differences and really take the time to see what Affinity can do.

That’s why we’ve decided to do something unprecedented in the industry and extend our trial period to six months (yes, six whole months!) without any strings attached. There’s no subscription requirement, no obligation to buy at a later date, and triallers don’t even need to enter their card details to sign up.

As an Affinity user, we know a free trial doesn’t exactly apply to you – you already own the apps – but we hope you’re enjoying them enough to want to spread the word with any friends, family and colleagues who may be interested.

2 Likes

This is a nice offer. I activated it to check out Designer.

1 Like

this is the equivalent to a dealer offering “just a taste”. the subscription will probably begin with the next version. :grinning:

full disclosure: I paid for them but have never used them as I have an adobe sub. I wanted to support them, and apparently I did just long enough for them to get bought up by a subscription house.

I doubt that given the strong statement they made, but who knows! I don’t do a lot of vector, so I’m mostly just curious how they’ve designed Designer.

I love Designer and have been using it since it was first released on iPad. I immedeately prefered it to Illustrator. Starting to get to grips with Photo too, even if years of Photoshop tricks are deeply rooted. Many of the keyboard shortcuts are the same, but I find it had a bit of a learning curve for me.

Not using Publisher all that much, but I find it very intuitive as it’s having the same basic tools as Designer and Photo.

1 Like

I use InDesigner, Photoshop, and Illustrator frequently in my work, and I find all three of them to be performance dogs. Might hop on this just for that, but I have to admit there is a lot of comfort in knowing you’re using the “industry standard” tools and don’t have to think about compatibility.

As an independent contractor it’s one of the things that got me to switch to the Apple ecosystem. I know some of my clients breathe a sigh of relief when they can just iMessage me that document that I need to see urgently. Or I can just open that pages file a volunteer made because they’ve never touched MS Word in their life. Or I can just open an Excel file with everything working correctly because Microsoft offers first party apps on my Mac.

1 Like

I used Photoshop for years (in the days when you could actually just buy it) and even made a blog post about how “maybe the best Photoshop alternative is… Photoshop”.

But… despite still paying for a LR+PS subscription for LR, I don’t even install Photoshop. I did briefly, and found it to be over-complicated and ugly compared to what I remembered. On the other hand, I use and really enjoy Affinity Photo to get the same kinds of jobs done, and it just looks nice.

One of the greatest problems for any Photoshop competitor is “compatibility”. I’m fortunate in that the only person I have to be compatible with is myself.

Honestly, if you’re not a professional, and perhaps if you didn’t used to be a professional, Affinity is, I believe, the better choice. In my view Photoshop jumped the shark when it enabled video editing.

1 Like

I also use Publisher regularly. I was only briefly an InDesign user (when I was able to get it free through my employer). With my InDesign knowledge (not huge, but enough to know I could get exactly what I wanted) I opened Publisher and within hours was doing the basics without reading any documentation.

I use Designer way less, but when I do, it is completely intuitive to me. Again… used Illustrator, though many, many years ago in that case so hard to compare. Designer just seems obvious to me.

But… all of the above is only true for me on the Mac. I have tried to get on with the iPad apps and I just don’t. The interface is just obtuse enough that I never know where anything is, and if I find it, I can’t figure out how to do simple things (like standing on one leg and whistling Dixie if you want to do it that other way).

1 Like

I agree the UI difference between iPad and Mac is quite significant. However, I find myself using the iPad version of Designer way more than on the Mac, simply because I don’t need to be in the office, and I can doodle in front of the TV. Guess it’s only a matter of how much time you put in how fast you get familiar with it, like with any app.

That said, I spent a LOT of time only last night trying to find how I could add multiple outlines to a shape on iPad :slight_smile:

I think that’s probably a key difference between us. When I use Designer, it’s a technical exercise. I’m not an artist by any stretch, but I did enjoy and do well in Technical Drawing at school.

This is basically my whole existence with the iPad versions. You are right that spending time and practicing would improve things a lot, but that’s kind of the problem with it.

I already have product knowledge and I know there is feature parity. I just don’t feel like I should have to ‘relearn’ the products. I was musing recently on what the core of the issue is and I think I figured it out.

There seems to be this feeling that “content is king” on the iPad. This leads to an almost fanatical attempt to limit the controls on screen to bare minimum. Contrast this with Photomator on iPad which provides a very desktop-like sidebar with all of the usual controls, just like you see on the desktop. They even have :astonished: text labels. The desktop Affinity interfaces are full of text. The iPad ones have almost none.

2 Likes