AI: It Could be Heaven or Hell: The End of Writing

I received this somewhat tongue-in-cheek article from iA Writer. I enjoyed it so I’m passing it along.

I particularly appreciated the description of language.

Before we all get sucked into that black hole, let’s remember the idea of human language. Language connects us. Language connects one human being to another. Through space and time. Language transports meaning between minds, sense between bodies, it can make us understand each other and ourselves. It can make us feel what others feel. Language is a bridge.

If we disconnect one side of the bridge, the bridge falls. If one listener or speaker, writer, or reader stops feeling what is said, the bridge crumbles. Language without a body is senseless, meaningless, void.

It took years to write this article. It took days of thinking, writing, and rewriting it until it was thought clearly enough. You can let Artificial Intelligence speak for you, but it can’t feel and think for you.

Please forgive some of the language in the article, I’m merely passing it along.

iAWriter Presenter Pricing Support Downloads News

The End of Writing

Published on January 25, 2023 in Design

Soon, you don’t need to write much anymore. Artificial Intelligence will do it for you. With all the free time we will have, we could try to rethink how we learn, work, and how we communicate.

You’ve heard the news. Microsoft bought 49% of OpenAI. Soon, ChatGPT will become the centerpiece of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. The majority of business matters are written in MS Office. AI will make its heart beat.

As an employee, your job will be reduced to barking a couple of fuzzy commands, from time to time. ChatGPT will read, think and write for you. It’s only a matter of time, until ChatGPT graduates from Office to Windows itself, run the whole system, and makes the idea of apps look as old-fashioned as cassette tapes.1Sounds like the pigs inviting the butcher for dinner. Does Microsoft know what they are doing?

Sooner than later, Artificial Intelligence will get rid of Windows, too, yeah, forget laptops, desktops, and monitors… Artificial Intelligence will run everything from a phone, or a watch, or, scratch that, a precious little finger ring. AI will do everything for you in a galaxy of clouds far, far away, through an ultra-light client in slightly over 12 parsecs.

It could be heaven.

• The end of apps and your 99 subscriptions: If ChatGPT is the centerpiece of all apps, you don’t need them, you just need a couple of plugins that render your processed barks.
  • The end of business communication: If no one writes or reads emails, Slacks, or Trellos anymore, we might as well stop sending them altogether.
  • The end of bosses: If everyone uses the same brain, we don’t need anyone telling us what to do.

Or it could be hell.

• The end of income: What do we need work for when a machine simulates work better than yourself?
  • The end of you: What do we need you for when a machine simulates you better than yourself?
  • The end of language: If we all know that language is not real, we don’t need to speak anymore.

If no one understands what no one thought, and no one reads what no one has written, we may as well abolish the whole circus of language and enjoy the silence. Wouldn’t it be nice? Jokes aside, it looks like AI devalues all productivity apps, not just the Office Suite, but work on the computer is getting superfluous.2Screenwork has been hit by a Weimar scale inflation.

No more bullshit jobs

Instead of typing boring requests in Outlook, instead of cropping Stock imagery and power pointing the newest Lego blocks business-clichés, instead of braining up Word memos that no one will read, you can give your computer a couple of approximate orders and the machine processes the text for you. Working on a screen has never been this easy. So… take it easy. It was all bullshit anyways. AI will catapult the existing business circus into a Spaceballs dimension.

The briefings, meetings, memos, proposals, timesheets and invoices, the deliverables, code and code reviews, the marketing campaigns, and analytics… Work on the screen has all been a simulation of work before AI started simulating the simulation. Time to leave the simulation of simulations to the machines. Let them print money while you focus on things that matter. Okay. But what matters, now?

Forget hobbies

If artificial intelligence frees us from business as usual, what will we do with all our free time? Play chess? Paint in oil? Compose symphonies? Read a printed book? Write on paper? Maybe we do nothing. Maybe we just take it easy. Or maybe it’s time to get real.

• We need to rethink school and work. AI has made perfectly clear that, not just at school and in business, to a large degree, we all simulate knowledge and meaning. It is so good at simulating us there because a lot of our own school and business language because in both spheres understanding is largely simulated.
  • We need to rethink how we spend our free time. AI will have eaten all our hobbies long before it fired us from our job. It beats Kasparov at chess a long time ago. It’s still debatable if it can beat Bach at composing Picasso at painting, or Shakespeare at writing. But it already makes it easy for a hobbyist to simulate them. Why resist? AI will blur the lines.
  • We need to observe AI now, as it still makes mistakes and reveals through its bugs how it works. AI acts and feels like cancer. It grows uncontrolled out of our organic knowledge, and it grows where that organic knowledge already has developed some carcinogenic tissue. And it looks like cancer, too. I may be biased, but the Dall-E 2 and Stable Diffusion picture look do not look healthy, meaningful, and happy. It’s one dark horror show of stuff growing out of what used to be organic. Sure, it’ll get better and learn to simulate happy images. Once it simulates us perfectly, we won’t understand it at all anymore. We won’t be able to discern it from us and understand how it works.

For a large part, school and work as we know it has been a simulation of work for some time. Now, teachers, students, bosses, and employees, have AI. Why would you believe that you, my out-simulated human fellow, are able to find meaning in anything? Do you think people will care about your faulty endeavors just because you are human? How are you human if you leave understanding reading, thinking, writing, caring, and loving to a processor? Because of your soul? What soul? What makes you believe that you have a real soul when you sold your metaphorical one to the machines?

What matters

Before we all get sucked into that black hole, let’s remember the idea of human language. Language connects us. Language connects one human being to another. Through space and time. Language transports meaning between minds, sense between bodies, it can make us understand each other and ourselves. It can make us feel what others feel. Language is a bridge.

If we disconnect one side of the bridge, the bridge falls. If one listener or speaker, writer, or reader stops feeling what is said, the bridge crumbles. Language without a body is senseless, meaningless, void.

It took years to write this article. It took days of thinking, writing, and rewriting it until it was thought clearly enough. You can let Artificial Intelligence speak for you, but it can’t feel and think for you.

Please forgive some of the language in the article, I’m merely passing it along.

iAWriter Presenter Pricing Support Downloads News

The End of Writing

Published on January 25, 2023 in Design

Soon, you don’t need to write much anymore. Artificial Intelligence will do it for you. With all the free time we will have, we could try to rethink how we learn, work, and how we communicate.

You’ve heard the news. Microsoft bought 49% of OpenAI. Soon, ChatGPT will become the centerpiece of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook. The majority of business matters are written in MS Office. AI will make its heart beat.

As an employee, your job will be reduced to barking a couple of fuzzy commands, from time to time. ChatGPT will read, think and write for you. It’s only a matter of time, until ChatGPT graduates from Office to Windows itself, run the whole system, and makes the idea of apps look as old-fashioned as cassette tapes.1 Sounds like the pigs inviting the butcher for dinner. Does Microsoft know what they are doing?

Sooner than later, Artificial Intelligence will get rid of Windows, too, yeah, forget laptops, desktops, and monitors… Artificial Intelligence will run everything from a phone, or a watch, or, scratch that, a precious little finger ring. AI will do everything for you in a galaxy of clouds far, far away, through an ultra-light client in slightly over 12 parsecs.

It could be heaven.

• The end of apps and your 99 subscriptions: If ChatGPT is the centerpiece of all apps, you don’t need them, you just need a couple of plugins that render your processed barks.
  • The end of business communication: If no one writes or reads emails, Slacks, or Trellos anymore, we might as well stop sending them altogether.
  • The end of bosses: If everyone uses the same brain, we don’t need anyone telling us what to do.

Or it could be hell.

• The end of income: What do we need work for when a machine simulates work better than yourself?
  • The end of you: What do we need you for when a machine simulates you better than yourself?
  • The end of language: If we all know that language is not real, we don’t need to speak anymore.

If no one understands what no one thought, and no one reads what no one has written, we may as well abolish the whole circus of language and enjoy the silence. Wouldn’t it be nice? Jokes aside, it looks like AI devalues all productivity apps, not just the Office Suite, but work on the computer is getting superfluous.2 Screenwork has been hit by a Weimar scale inflation.

No more bullshit jobs

Instead of typing boring requests in Outlook, instead of cropping Stock imagery and power pointing the newest Lego blocks business-clichés, instead of braining up Word memos that no one will read, you can give your computer a couple of approximate orders and the machine processes the text for you. Working on a screen has never been this easy. So… take it easy. It was all bullshit anyways. AI will catapult the existing business circus into a Spaceballs dimension.

The briefings, meetings, memos, proposals, timesheets and invoices, the deliverables, code and code reviews, the marketing campaigns, and analytics… Work on the screen has all been a simulation of work before AI started simulating the simulation. Time to leave the simulation of simulations to the machines. Let them print money while you focus on things that matter. Okay. But what matters, now?

Forget hobbies

If artificial intelligence frees us from business as usual, what will we do with all our free time? Play chess? Paint in oil? Compose symphonies? Read a printed book? Write on paper? Maybe we do nothing. Maybe we just take it easy. Or maybe it’s time to get real.

• We need to rethink school and work. AI has made perfectly clear that, not just at school and in business, to a large degree, we all simulate knowledge and meaning. It is so good at simulating us there because a lot of our own school and business language because in both spheres understanding is largely simulated.
  • We need to rethink how we spend our free time. AI will have eaten all our hobbies long before it fired us from our job. It beats Kasparov at chess a long time ago. It’s still debatable if it can beat Bach at composing Picasso at painting, or Shakespeare at writing. But it already makes it easy for a hobbyist to simulate them. Why resist? AI will blur the lines.
  • We need to observe AI now, as it still makes mistakes and reveals through its bugs how it works. AI acts and feels like cancer. It grows uncontrolled out of our organic knowledge, and it grows where that organic knowledge already has developed some carcinogenic tissue. And it looks like cancer, too. I may be biased, but the Dall-E 2 and Stable Diffusion picture look do not look healthy, meaningful, and happy. It’s one dark horror show of stuff growing out of what used to be organic. Sure, it’ll get better and learn to simulate happy images. Once it simulates us perfectly, we won’t understand it at all anymore. We won’t be able to discern it from us and understand how it works.

For a large part, school and work as we know it has been a simulation of work for some time. Now, teachers, students, bosses, and employees, have AI. Why would you believe that you, my out-simulated human fellow, are able to find meaning in anything? Do you think people will care about your faulty endeavors just because you are human? How are you human if you leave understanding reading, thinking, writing, caring, and loving to a processor? Because of your soul? What soul? What makes you believe that you have a real soul when you sold your metaphorical one to the machines?

What matters

1. iA will not let AI write your text. We want you to feel what you want to say, think what you want to write, and write so clearly that others will think what you think and feel what you felt. We will continue to use algorithms if they encourage you to think harder. We have been doing that for years (with Syntax Highlight and StyleCheck). Use ChatGPT to correct spelling errors or check for factual or logical errors or anything that makes you think more. But, whatever you do, think more, not less. If you’d rather use ChatGPT than feel, write and think for yourself, you can do that elsewhere. To use ChatGPT you don’t need us. It’ll be everywhere else. :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:
  2. The popular argument is that those who will be using AI will win and those who do not will be left behind. As long as AI remains a tool and we stay in control, that argument is fully plausible. But we are already so much following technology in how we communicate with each other. The world is full of noise because we are not in control of our information technology but the other way around. When it comes to writing, things are not that easy. If you do not understand the foundation of what you write, it’s not likely that you will end up with a text that has been felt and understood in every aspect. Writing is rewriting and rewriting until the thought becomes clear. AI may help here and there pointing you to unclear elements, but if AI writes for you, you will stop thinking. :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:
  • iA Newsletter
  • Subscribe to receive product updates, announcements, and a look behind the scenes.
  • I’m interested in:

Writer Pricing Downloads News Support Features Newsletter

Presenter Pricing Downloads News Support Newsletter

Support Writer Presenter

About Us Newsletter

Press Kits Writer

LanguageEnglishDeutsch日本語

Already posted here?

My bad, I missed that post!

I’ve been trying to wrap my small monkey brain around what ChatGPT will mean in the long run. I’m going to try to think this through here. In many ways the advances we’ve seen in AI this past year perpetuate the automation trend that’s existed since… well, since humans started creating technology. I’ve seen arguments that seem to be on two ends of a spectrum, that the AI is often wrong and unreliable, and we shouldn’t use it for anything important, to AI is so good that it’s going to put us all out of jobs. As with most truths, I think the reality is somewhere in between.

It’s my opinion that jobs that AI can replace, it probably will replace a lot of. But not all. Referring back to our discussion about the current state of Apple news sites, if the site is a content farm pumping out low-value articles for hit counts and views, I can see AI handling that. If your site is well thought out opinions and reviews about things around the Apple ecosystem, that I think will be safe. Because it’s the person’s opinion that gives the site value.

For more enterprise-y jobs, I could see fewer low and mid-level developers. Fewer managers, fewer secretaries, fewer creatives. Not all gone, but certainly less than before. If your job is to create stock photos and put together slide shows, you might want to expand your skill set a bit.

I think… the kind of jobs that will survive are the type that bring real value. The kind of value that can’t be replicated by a computer. Not just the generation of some text or code, but coming up with the why. What needs to be made, and why does it need to be made?

Maybe AI will help free us up to concentrate on solving really hard problems. Poverty, clean water, famine, climate change. Then again, maybe it’ll make things worse. I suppose in the end that’s up to us.

It sounds a little like you’re describing an evolutionary step in the Rise of the Knowledge Worker as laid out in this collection of essays put together by James Cortada in 1998.

1 Like

When I tried Eliza back in the 1970’s I (briefly) thought that it would mean the end of mental health therapists.

2 Likes

I thought this was an over the top, hysterical reaction to ChatGPT. Maybe it was tongue in cheek? But it doesn’t seem that way to me. I think they see it as a threat to their software. Maybe it is, but I doubt it. All new technology is always met with a mix of hype and fear. But after some time, it just settles into being just another tool in the toolbox. I’m sure that is what will happen with ChatGPT too.

I found it rather depressing. And, what is this guy? A soothsayer?