AirPlay or cables for connecting iPad to TVs?

I have an iPad that I periodically need to connect to TVs. Not the same TV - multiple TVs, different locations.

I pretty much always have HDMI.

To use something like AirPlay, I could cart around an AppleTV with me. Or I could use an HDMI cable + adapter.

I’m looking for the easiest solution. Anybody had this situation in the past? Is it worth getting an AppleTV for such a purpose, or is there a good adapter that does a great job?

Thoughts?

If it’s multiple TV’s… I’d say just use the adapter and HDMI…

If it was one constant TV, then the Apple TV route would be worth it, but you are gonna have to plug and unplug wires anyway…

1 Like

Any recommendations for a great adapter? Or is the Apple one the best?

Just get the Apple one. You know it will work!

I teach in a school where we have multiple iPads and AppleTVs connected. Can sometimes be an issue with lag and buffering. Keeping the ATV off the network and relying on Peer-to-peer is also a good solution. We also have the HDMI/VGA cables if needed but sacrifice the ability to walk around the classroom. If you don’t need that functionality then the cable is the easiest solution. I’d also recommend, if you carry a Mac and iOS device, apps like AirServer or Refelctor. They allow you to Airplay mirror your iOS device using your Mac as a receiver. if you use multiple screens you can have your Mac on one and iOS on the other. relatively cheap as well at around £14/$14ish

Hope that helps. Sorry for the long post but this is an area I’ve done a lot of research and testing on.

1 Like

I take an old Apple TV with me and then I can easily switch between my Mac and iPad when doing presentations. Works well and no cables to restrict me when I’m presenting (I like to walk around with my iPad!).

I always use the Apple TV off network.

@webwalrus Which iPad apps do you want to show when connected to the TVs (if you don’t mind sharing)?

Keynote and various videos in different apps. Ideally I just want to be able to put my entire screen on the TV, no matter what app I’m in.

With Keynote, an iPhone connected to the TV via HDMI can be used as a bridge for the iPad running as a Keynote remote.

Some video apps (like YouTube) offer Chromecast support, meaning that a Chromecast dongle connected to the TV could be enough in that specific situation.

Just offering some out of the box options.

Now, if ultimately you’re looking for a single and versatile solution, the choice between the Apple TV and the dongle will depend from how mobile you’d like to be in the room.

And if it’s a business expense, why not go for both options altogether? That’s what I did in the end.

Hope this helps!

1 Like