AirPods Max - Is This Normal?

I put my AirPods Max on at the beginning of the day, then I listen to my podcasts/music/etc. Sometimes I’ll shut off the music/podcasts because I need better focus, and just leave the APM on.

Anyway, while they’re on my head, after some period of time they make a noise. I’m assuming that it’s them going into power saving mode or something.

Then a call comes in, or I want to play my music again, or whatever, and I just can’t. The phone can’t reconnect to them. Pressing the crown on the APM yields a musical “thunk” sort of sound, and they still seem to be doing transparency mode - but I can’t seem to get them to wake up. Holding down the crown and the other button for a period of time makes them reset, at which point they immediately reconnect.

Is this how they’re supposed to work? If so these might not be for me, much as I love the audio.

Thoughts?

Mine do something like this occasionally, but not enough to be disruptive daily like you’re seeing. They’re always connected to a Mac. Usually I get them reconnected through control center. I work with noise cancelling and no audio for a portion of the day so I’ve tested this a fair amount.

1 Like

For me they’re almost always connected to a phone instead of a Mac. I wonder if there’s some clue there? When you reconnect, do you have to fiddle with buttons on the APM? Or just Control Center?

ETA: found this on Reddit, where some people are claiming that even new ones have some sort of goopy stuff that needs to be cleaned out by disassembling them.

I’m not going to try it, as I have AppleCare, I’m in my return window, and I’m not keen on potentially screwing something up and voiding a warranty. But it’s an interesting data point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Airpodsmax/comments/v21xpe/psa_if_your_airpods_are_disconnecting_constantly/

1 Like