AirPods Pro - A Quick Question

I recently bought a pair of EarPods Pro, and thought I’d see how they worked during a phone call. So, I was in a phone call (iPhone 8, IOS13.5.1), hands free. Removed both AirPods from the case and put them in my ears. The incoming sound transferred to the AirPods (very nice and clear) but apparently no outgoing sound - my friend on the other end of the call told me that I just went dead until I put the AirPods back in their case.

Is there something I should have done to get the sound to work (I looked for an unmute switch, but couldn’t find one), or should I suspect a problem with the AirPods?

I think I’ve had a similar issue with my AirPods v2. I end up putting them in before I start the call. That seems to work best for me.

I’ve had that issue with my Sennheiser bluetooth headphones. I picked up SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba and solved that issue. It give you very fine grained control of where you sound is going and what your microphone is connected to. I really love the app. You can control that system wide and app by app. Recommended.

1 Like

SoundSource is a fantastic app. It offers far more control and sound quality than an app like Boom3D and unlike Boom it never crashed on me. I use custom EQs for different apps depending on the type of audio they play, and I’ll live-tweak EQ in Zoom when I’m dealing with people using poor mics.

3 Likes

Many thanks for the replies - and it’s interesting that you both picked SoundSource - which looks like a great app. The only trouble is that it’s not in the iPhone App Store … :slight_smile:

The only tip I have is to only put one AirPod in so you can still listen and talk while the Bluetooth is connecting. Sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes it works right away. Once the one AirPod is connected, put the other one in and it usually connects quickly.