Airpods Pro Noise Cancellation

For those of you who have AirPods Pro(s?): I heard that Apple “adjusted” the noise cancellation feature in a firmware update in a way that made it less effective. Has that been undone? Is it a big deal?

2 Likes

If I hadn’t read the news stories about this, I don’t think I ever would have known that anything had changed.

3 Likes

Thanks! I just ordered a pair; they should be here before Christmas… 2021 :grin:

1 Like

I have had mine since the first week that they were released and notice no difference. I wear them daily for 5-6 hours.

3 Likes

I can’t tell when noise cancellation is on or off to be honest on the ones I had delivered this week. I kept toggling the transparency press back and fore but I couldn’t tell any difference. I don’t really need noise cancellation though, if I do I have my Bose over ear ones: and really don’t want it on my airpods anyway. I like the way these work though and fit.

I had ordered some but I’m travelling this week (Chicago, great week for it, eh? Left before any of the bans and advisories) and on the off chance that they had some in stock I check at the Michigan Ave. store… and they did, so now I do too!

They are really, really good, but it took me some time to get the fit right. The test mode reported that I should change the tips no matter which size I tried, something that didn’t really surprise me too much, given that my ears are both a bit mangled. However, I “twisting them forward” just a little and all of a sudden, it was like all the background noise in my room was gone. I guess that I was holding them in my ears wrong :wink:

Anyway, I’m really impressed and I think they’ll be fantastic for running when in transparency mode.

2 Likes

You must be doing something wrong unless they’re defective. Have someone talk in a normal conversational voice several feet away from you while you switch modes using the control center, so you can visually verify. In transparency mode they will sound about as loud as if you had nothing in your ears. In ANC mode it should be difficult to understand them.

Have you done the ear fit sound test?

3 Likes

You called it. Thanks, I WAS doing something wrong. Thanks for pointing me to the sound test. Just after I started it my wife pointed me that way too, “there must be a setting you got wrong”. I find this site so useful I really do. Thanks for taking the time and trouble for me. Now I can’t believe how good the sound cancellation is. Comparable to my over the ear Bose. I would even say better.

I must add that by and large I don’t have them in that mode and won’t, I have to be aware to some extent of my surroundings, even wear just one airpod sometimes. It is nice to know I can use them when I listen to my end of the day podcast in noise cancellation mode though.

4 Likes

In my opinion, there were negative changes after the auto-update:
Both ANC and TS-mode are now more sensible to wind noice, and I also find the ANC somehow reduced.

I’m very sensitive to noise after a mid-ear operation, and the AirPod Pro’s were game-changers for me due to both the genius TS-mode and the ANC. I use them almost all day since November, and can confirm the ca 29 dB reduction of noise, wich makes them big construction machines 'n vehicles at work purr like kittens in the background, while enjoying my favorite podcasts :smile:

3 Likes

Just for those following my salvation by @cornchip my wife also had to show me how to take them out of the case properly too. You sort of push them from behind and they start to lift and then you can pull them out. I was having real trouble gripping and pinching them and trying to just lift them out like the regular air pods. So both issues I was having were totally user error. Since I had to have one medium and one large silicone tip to get them to fit properly; I now have a spare pair of those effectively too.

3 Likes