AirPods work for everything but phone calls

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 13, my AirPods have stopped working for phone calls. They connect to my iPhone without any trouble (and I have forgotten and repaired them already), function normally for listening to music, podcasts, audio from YouTube videos, etc., and the microphone works when recording Voice Memos. When I use them making a telephone call, I can’t hear anything (neither the phone ringing nor the person who picks up on the other end), and the person on the other end of the call can’t hear me. Anybody else having this problem, or know how to fix it?

Hardware: AirPods gen 1, iPhone 7 Plus running (as of this morning) iOS 13.1.3.

Do you see the white AirPods symbol when you are dialing?

Yes, I do (and I’ve tried switching to the iPhone or speaker and back again as well).

Strange. Does factory resetting them help? That’s the only other thing I can think to try.

3 Likes

I had the same issue with the 13.1 builds of iOS as well. Now I’m on the developer beta for 13.2 and I no longer have the problem. AirPods pairing also seems a bit faster with my iPhone XS Max on 13.2.

The factory reset seems to have done the trick, cornchip, thanks!

2 Likes

None of this worked for me, but chat support suggested I “reset networks settings”. Did so and it worked. Woo hoo!

2 Likes

Thank u so much! Just did this trick and M able to use my iphone to make calls again and hear voice on my phone and airpods. Thnks alot

Hi i have the same problem, can you tell me how to resolve exactly please?? thanks

Setting, general, reset, reset network settings, enter phone code, click reset again. Phone will turn off. This is the only thing that worked for me. I tried resetting the airpods but it did nothing. Network settings reset worked.

Hello everyone

I have the same issue during calls no one hears me, I try everything which you all mentioned above, nothing helps me(( may be somebody has any variant how to resolve this issue

Hello, I have a iPhone 8 and my friends say they can’t hear me when I have my airpods on, it sounds almost like static, I could hear them perfectly fine and the airpods works well other than that

Not sure why it worked but fully charge AirPods, do the reset-open top press AirPods down while pushing button on back for 6seconds or so, then put them in your ears and make phone call from Apple Watch. Then try using with phone again. No clue why but worked for mine.

My Airpods are working fine with YouTube and other OTT apps. But while receiving the calls it gets dropped in middle not sure what is the issue. Checked the battery levels and Bluetooth connectivity as well. Tried forgetting the airpods and reconnecred as well still it did not work.

I had the same issue on my right airpod
Microphone works everywhere like memo except on call. I can hear but people can’t hear me. Left airpod works fine. This issue started with ios14 and i updated to ios 15.0.1. Still same issues. I have tried network reset nothing happen. I have tried airpod hard reset doesn’t work. I talked with apple advisor on chat and explained everything, they couldn’t solve and they admitted this is software issue on my phone and they said i should go for repair center. Is there any other advice to share?

Try using them on a Samsung device and let me know what happens. I have the same problem on the iPhone 11 but they work perfectly on Samsung devices

Connect them to a Samsung device and let me know . I have the same problem on the iPhone 11 but they work perfectly on Samsung devices