Alternative to Clean my mac, or do I need it at all?

Hey guys.
How much does everyone use Clean my Mac X, and while I know it’s not essential, how high up do you rate it on the useful app list.

I like it a lot, and feel like it helps me identify things that can get cleaned out. But Im coming up for setapp renewal (another topic I suppose) and am not going to keep Setapp.

I have found alternatives for everything else ‘essential-to-me’ on Setapp (Ulysses swapped for Bear, Dropzone is just $10, other little utilities I had already bought in the past), so its just down to Clean my Mac. Do I need it?

Appreciate your thoughts.

When I quit SetApp I decided to buy it as a one-time purchase because I find is really useful. Especially to monitor my Mac and free up RAM before doing anything that is resource intensive. It also detects Malware on my system occasionally and I like the tools for checking disk usage.

I’ve used it for years and it’s always been reliable.

2 Likes

It was pointed out to me that freeing up memory is the sort of thing that can be done for free using built-in command line tools:

https://osxdaily.com/2012/04/24/free-up-inactive-memory-in-mac-os-x-with-purge-command/

And @bowline pointed out that there’s a tool called Memory Diag that does it from the GUI, again, free:

Worth considering if that’s the only reason for keeping CleanMyMac around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use much more than just this. I find it a really good tool for all Mac maintenance tasks, without it I’d probably need to find 10 or so programs at least and I prefer to use this as I trust it. I prefer to have one good tool that does all my maintenance rather than lots of workarounds and separate programs.

I did consider this before purchasing.

Do these utilities that “free up RAM” actually do anything that macOS doesn’t already do for memory management?

This was discussed recently in this thread: Mulling cancelling SetApp. Is CleanMyMac worth it?

Ah, sorry I missed this thread. Useful discussion.