Alternatives to "Finder Windows" app

I came across Finder Windows via this topic, gave it a try and find it quite convenient.

I am using it to show a floating panel of open Finder tabs (the app recommends using windows though instead of tabs) that is visible in all apps. It allows files to be dragged into any item in the list.

I am aware that we can add a custom dock item with our folder locations or use a launcher like Alfred for quick access, but to me it is not quick enough like what this Finder Windows app allows me - which is just a single click on a folder name and jump to it.

Is anyone aware of any alternatives before I purchase a license for Finder Windows?

1 Like

It seems for me to be one of those colorful gadgets, everybody wants, and which has in reality no real advantage compared to the money they ask for.
You could access every open Finderwindow by Rightclick the Finder in the Dock.
Also you could add Favorites to the sidebar of the Finder, to get faster to often used Folders.
And you have to reach to the Appwindow anyway to select the next folder, and if it is not already open, or otherwise in the set, you have to go back to Finder to open it.
So I do not see any real advantage from this app so far.

2 Likes

Are you looking for a Finder replacement? There is a nice thread that accompanied the MPU podcast on this topic.

Mac Power Users 481: Finder and Its Alternatives - Episodes - MPU Talk

Amazes me sometimes how the simplest things just sneak right by me. I guess even power users can grow in their power!

Thanks!

2 Likes

But you cannot easily drag/drop items into one of those folders that way because that window disappears when you go to some other folder.

I see this software in some ways as a variation on Yoink or Shelf, which are clearly very useful.

Apparently it also can be accessed from the menu bar if desired which is a nice touch.

I normally use Yoink by myself, but you could drag what you want to the Finder Icon at the Dock, wait a second, and then place it into the appearing (open) Folder of your desire.

1 Like

I too keep a floating window of open finder windows. My set up has three main displays and one smaller (7") status display, and ten spaces. The Finder Windows floating window is on that status display, and appears in all spaces. I often have many finder windows open across the spaces and being able to both see, and jump directly to, any open window is something I find quite useful.

There are other ways to do this, but this one works for me.

And full disclaimer, I’m a sucker for single function utilities like this one, and have been using them to add functionality to my Macs since at least System 7 days (any former Can Opener or Disk Doubler users here?).

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

I’m not sure what your exact use case is but I found Default Folder x to be perfect for mine.

I keep folder windows open as I’m searching and being able to save files into those folders is easy. I like the list of recent files and folders as well as the menubar.

https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

1 Like

I use Default Folder X, too, for the same reason. I seem to want access to previous folders and open folders when I’m in dialog boxes, and that’s what it’s good for.

Decades ago I used Drag Thing, but for whatever reason I’ve never returned to that way of working. That’s not to say I don’t drag stuff to move files; I do this all the time when organizing stuff. But that seems to be happening in a dedicated session, not throughout the day.

I like hearing about these little tools because it reminds me to check in and see if the way I currently do things is still the best for me.

I keep folder windows open as I’m searching and being able to save files into those folders is easy.

Can you describe what you mean by this? I can’t visualize it. TY!

It’s not easy to describe in words. I found this from the developer. Note that the video is old but it includes the main things that I use.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting the video! Not only do I understand your technique of clicking in an open Finder window to jump to that folder in a Save dialog, I learned some other tricks, as well. :slight_smile:

Update: I realised that what am actually looking for is a quick way to go to designated locations in Finder (and when done, close them), not see and access the list of all open Finder tabs and windows.

So I switched to Keyboard Maestro’s floating palette + set up a hotkey trigger for it (Hyper key + F).

CleanShot 2023-03-31 at 09.29.31

2 Likes

I may have used Macs too long (since '87), and I have never understood why people are complaining about Finder, or that it’s “strange”…?

You have shortcuts in sidebars, window top bars, keyboard shortcuts (eg CMD+SHIFT+O to go to your document folder), the Dock, Aliases and so on and so forth. What is missing?

If I want to save a document in a special folder, I navigate to that folder with the help of keyboard shortcuts, column view and the arrow keys for example. Extremely easy, IMHO.

I probably don’t understand the original question. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A direct way to access/jump to a folder w/o opening/switching to Finder first.

Is it a big deal? For me, yes. Different strokes for different folks and all…

1 Like

I do that with Alfred. Yes, I have to type in the name of the folder, but there are so many folders on the Mac, Alfred needs to know where I want to go.

You have found a good solution with KM, but let’s evaluate the possibilites here anyway. It’s interesting to see how we work differently.

For example, I have my most used folders in the sidebar, which is visible in Finder windows as well as all dialogue windows:

Quite often, I have to save documents to places that’s not visible in the sidebar.

Example:
I’m writing a project plan to my client Alltaki and I now want to save it in the appopriate place in my file system. I use the mouse as little as possible because it takes time and effort.
• I press CMD+S to save my work.

• In the save dialogue I press CMD+Shift+O (Same shortcut works in Finder and all dialogue windows) to open my Documents folder.

• In my Documents folder I have two folders; Work and Private.
Note: I think it’s important to have a clear distinction between work and private stuff, and the further up in your hierarchy you can place those distinctions the better for your future sanity. (Many of my clients have their documents in some kind of randomised/chaotic order. Folders may or may not be used, they are scattered at the Desktop, in the download folder, in Mail, and sometimes at the root of the hard drive. My first suggestion is always to use the Documents folder and to create one Work and one Private folder, and they shine up like they have understood something new :slight_smile: )
Note 2: I always use the Column view, because I think it’s easier to navigate and also to give your brain a descent chance to quickly see where you are.

• I press CTRL+Tab to go to the file area, and then press down arrow. This selects the topmost folder, which is " Clients" (Note the space in front of it to keep it first in the list of items).
I press the right arrow to see Clients, and the list with my clients is shown.
Again, using the arrow keys I navigate to the folder called Alltaki.

• I have a folder called 2023 that I want to place the project plan in. But I don’t have the project folder created yet, since this is the first document for that project.
So I navigate to the folder 2023, and there I press CMD+Shift+N which creates a new folder where I’m currently located.

Then I name my document and press Enter to save it. Done!

To sum it up, I press a series of keyboard shortcuts that have been used for 30+ years (depending on when Apple implemented them) and can navigate, save and open things quite quickly.
But having shortcuts for the most used folders is crucial to be effective, as well as using folders and a thought out hierarchy.
One thing that have destroyed the need of a good hierarchy is Spotlight. It’s so effing quick and good, that many people use that instead of having a good file policy. However, I could not personally live with that. :crazy_face:

/$0.02

2 Likes