Am I wrong to consider a Mac Studio instead of a laptop?

Once I decided that I wanted 32gb of RAM, the Studio was ‘only’ ~$250. more than a Mac mini with similar memory (base model mini). The additional cores and connectivity were worth the difference.

2 Likes

I have light duty needs so I went with a M1 iMac and an old 2015 MacBook Air for use when traveling. I keep the two synced via iCloud. Been working great for my needs. Prior to this I used a MBP with a Thunderbolt Display. I prefer the 24” screen on the iMac.

Good morning. Catching up now – thank you everyone!

1 Like

Yes, it’s a Mac Mini. I think it’s basically a MBP in a box without screen, but I also believe that the thermals are slightly better than a laptop due to it not being constrained by thinness (and a bigger, slower fan).

2 Likes

I ended up trading my 16" MacBook Pro in towards a Studio. I use that and an iPad Pro, and I’m pretty happy. I hear the siren song of the new 15" MacBook Air, but that’s a maybe purchase down the road. My old Mac mini is now a backup machine.

2 Likes

I ended up swapping my 2021 M1 MBP for a 2023 Studio in November and haven’t regretted the choice at all. I had picked up an M2 MBA in July of 22 and that computer is awesome and more than enough to use when I am not at my desk. So I am living a two computer life with the MBA and the Studio, but the Studio is awesome and I like it better than the MBP I traded in.

2 Likes

I have too many laptops thanks to this forum :sweat_smile:. Recently picked up iMac and that’s my main machine working from home; hindsight a VESA iMac would have been tidier and better. Preference for iMac over studio/mini with external monitor is to reduce cluttering.

OTOH, when the CPU in an iMac gets outdated, a perfectly good monitor ends up as e-waste, but you can replace a Studio or Mini and keep using the monitor, which also saves money, especially if it’s an expansive, high end screen.

Adding a port to allow an iMac to be used as a monitor for another computer would be inexpensive and a lot more environmentally responsible, but for some reason Apple refuses to do it.

4 Likes

This. I ended up having to recycle my old, beloved 27" iMac when the internals died even though the monitor was in perfect condition. Don’t think I’ll ever buy another desktop computer with an integrated monitor.

3 Likes

Man, does this thread make me want to buy a nice little Mac Studio!

3 Likes

I can understand why this was the case on the 27” iMac (even if I still don’t like it) as the screen required dual internal controllers so it would have been far more complex to address as a single display when connecting a single cable.

For the 24” I don’t believe that’s the case.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that. Later on gives me another reason to add Studio to collection of macbook, ipad pro & mini, and iMac :sweat_smile:

2 Likes