Amazon Prime Music

I tried another album and it played 3 tracks from the album, then some other song from a different artist, then 3 more from the album. I tried skipping but after a few skips (I lost count), it said that the skipping limit was reached.

This was just an exploration for me. I have an Apple One Premier subscription that works well for me. I’m not looking for a replacement to Apple Music. I also subscribe to Amazon Prime, so this is a nice add-in for some people but it’s something I won’t use, except maybe for some albums that aren’t available on Apple Music.

1 Like

I’m glad that the explicit filter is now available in Australia…maybe it took them a while to work out our accent!

BTW: at the end of this podcast they mentioned that there is an update to the Amazon Music App that should help bring in new features…

I noticed this yesterday when my app changed colors…and it asked me to pick favorite artists when I opened the app. I haven’t had time to test it out but I almost always use Prime (free version) to listen to music in the car, so more music seems like a good thing to me.

Having tried it for a bit yesterday it seems to have feature (and limitation!) parity with Spotify’s free offering, except no ads. I presume it’s been easy for them to adopt the same deal with the music industry.

More than half of Spotify users are on the free tier, and that is growing rapidly, so it seems like it’s a good value-add for Prime.

That’s fair… for me it is indeed somewhat worse, as I can’t listen to classical albums as intended, which is a biggie (although I can access many, many more albums now). Some albums don’t make sense on shuffle, especially if there’s also other music thrown in.

However, presumably Amazon’s research suggests more ‘casual music listeners’ will see this as adding value to their Prime Subscription. Certainly about 200m people don’t mind it on Spotify… despite the ads.

Bottom line - it’s fine for me as background. If I want to listen to the album, I’d probably use YouTube.

Might need to take a look. I’m looking for a new service after cancelling Apple’s extremely family unfriendly service. Was looking at Spotify family. Does Amazon have a family plan?

If you think Apple’s family plan is unfriendly, Amazon is almost ‘anti family’. AFAIK, Amazon only has household which you can add one adult and may be two kids (not sure on this one). This is how it works , at least, for sharing Kindle books

Yes, in the UK it does anyway… up to 6 separate accounts for £14.99.

1 Like

Pretty much all the streaming services have a six person limit on their family plan and charge $15+. I’m guessing due to group industry negotiation with rights holders.

1 Like

Amazon music is getting one heck of a battering on the appstore reviews for making these changes.

After a week of using the app I agree with the haters. It sucks. I can’t even use my existing playlists. It randomly shuffles in “similar” songs, with limited skips.

I guess I’ll find a new music app. Bummer since i play for Prime and it was a good option previously.

I really wanted this to replace Apple Music… I am enjoying denying apple my $$.