Amazon purchases Eero

No, it’s not. AWS is Amazon’s cloud computing offering. They do not have access to the data contained in VMs, databases, storage and other computing resources their customers are paying for.

They might have visibility into what endpoints are connecting to their infrastructure, like any ISP, but no more.

Your other examples I agree with.

1 Like

Alexa in every corner of the house. Getting psychotic? No reallity.

Its a shame Apple has dropped the ball on this. Their Airport line got outdated and these “Mesh” networks are the way to go for consumer networks. Have been telling for years that Apple should buy Eero and turn that into the “Airport line”.

A good internet connection is the backbone of our computer experience. Apple is now completely reliant on 3rd party vendors.

I also think this is disappointing news but I hope that it will galvanize Apple to get back into selling routers. I think an Airport mesh network would be a great product.

I don’t think this has as much to do with Amazon wanting to track all my online movements as much as it has to do with their continued push in the connected smart home. Now they have a router system they can recommend people use when collecting all your Echo and smart home devices. Google privacy policy claims they don’t track your internet activity with Google WiFi and this makes me believe Amazon will be similar. I’m just more afraid that Eero Plus may go away or the offerings will change.

1 Like

I haven’t really noticed anyone’s comments being “over the top” nor “silly”.

I did not intend my comments to be over the top or suggest that I am throwing my eeros in the trash.

Like everything, I will wait to see what comes out of the amazon acquisition. If there is good reason to believe that Amazon is not tracking network details, I’ll stick with the eeros. On the other hand, if credible evidence is presented to show that Amazon is tracking network data in a way I find unaccetible, then I will make a change. It’s too early at this point to make a call.

I don’t see my position as over the top.

1 Like

What page of the annual, financial report are you refering to? And AWS is about selling unused capacity, which is defined by peak usage and reserves.

I think this is highly unlikely. Apple never goes back.

They’ve publicly committees to getting back into the monitor business after getting out of it. They got out of the PDA business when they cancelled the Newton and then went back in with the iPhone.

That said, I don’t see them getting back into the WiFi router market.

Actually, I think that’s a good point. Consumers need to be able to trust that the IoT products they buy are produced by companies that are focused on privacy and customer service. Amazon also bought Ring, and apparently they were lax in supervision there as well.

2 Likes

I might argue that the iPhone was more about evolution but I’m willing to concede the point about displays.

I don’t know why Apple went out of and into displays, but I think there’s a strong case here to get back into home Internet as the market moves routers from ‘dumb’ devices to connected, proactive systems. At minimum, insuring an independent HomeKit option seems strategically valuable. I know they can’t do everything, though.

The Verge

Amazon already has millions of Echo speakers and third-party gadgets tied to its Alexa ecosystem in homes, and acquiring Eero could help it bring everything together more seamlessly. But there will certainly be questions about what data will be shared with Eero’s soon-to-be new owner. On Twitter, Eero assured one customer that it “does not track users’ internet activity and this policy will not change with the acquisition.”

Benedict Evan’s newsletter

Amazon is building a strategy around connecting and controlling devices in your home, perhaps for prosaic things like letting in delivery people, but more fundamentally because Amazon wants to plumb your home for Prime - to own the last ten yards of physical distribution.

2 Likes

Totally killed my interest as liked the eero + feature set. Have to say my Ubquity Amplify system has been rock solid.

Still have an Airport system at home / work.
For its eventual replacement, I won’t consider Eero.

(Side note: I want a wireless extender like an Airport Extreme that functions as an AirPlay2 node, and maybe even has digital out (like Toslink) for connecting to a stereo)

Ubiquity is another company (as was eero) created by former Apple engineers.

I was listening to today’s MacObserver’s Daily Observations podcast and MacGeekGab host Dave Hamilton, who was a guest, specifically gave a shout-out to Ubiquity as being particularly good, briefly mentioning the Amplifi consumer and prosumer “enterprise-grade” UniFi lines.

FYI Hamilton said that as of right now one of his favorite mesh products is the little pods from Plume, a brand that isn’t too well known with consumers. Apparently Plume is especially good at handling fast device roaming to access points.

2 Likes

My immediate concern is what will happen to Eero Plus? Will the partner companies want to continue dealing with Amazon? It was a no brained deal for us since we were already using 1Password and needed a different VPN.

I suspect that nothing will change (at least in the short term) as these licenses have already been negotiated and Eero already has made a commitment to Eero Plus subscribers. Hopefully, Eero Plus will be made available to a larger audience; I think it’s currently only available in Canada and the USA.