An alternative to TheBrain?

I’ve been using TheBrain for a few years, but really struggle with the pricing. I like the app, especially the visual way it connects data (more visual than DT or Tinderbox) but am looking for an alternative. Wondering if anyone here has used it and moved onto a similar product??

4 Likes

I never used it, but may I suggest MindNode? It’s the only mind mapping app that works pretty well for me and I tried many of them.

1 Like

For a general list of alternatives, you could check here:

I’ve used Mindnode for quite a while, and really like it. But I’m looking for something with a more longitudinal structure…meaning you can put a log to things in it over a great period of time. Store and connect…

Hi CoachMike,

I have the same issue. Were you be able to find a decent alternative to TheBrain.
Appreciate your assistance

1 Like

Hi Ishyam…no good solution.

I use Curio for somethings and Raindrop.io for others.

But I do miss the connections that TB offered…but cannot justify the cost…so…no real good solution…

-M

I’m looking at a way of maintaining and visualising connections across a wide range of areas. I’m a fan of mind maps, and The Brain seems a good way of doing this.

However, I already subscribe to MindNode, which can create parent/child relationships, link to files and URLs and add text notes to a node.

What does The Brain offer in addition to this?
Are there limits on the size of a MindNode map?

I think the best way to see what TheBrain does versus MindNode is to get a trial of TheBrain. It’s a pricey investment, so relying on the opinion here of a bunch of very nice folks you don’t know is not the best way to check it out.

But I’ll give my opinion anyway, since I’ve used TheBrain for over 10 years. It’s not comparable to MindNode or other mind mapping apps. It can be complex, but complexity depends on what you do. The initial blank canvas is confusing until you get started. It’s strongest features, IMO, is the ability to easily create multiple connections between nodes (“thoughts”), both visually and within the text body of notes. Version 12 (current version) introduced a number of the features that have become canonical in “note taking” software in recent years: backlinks, display of unlinked mentions, markdown support, etc.

TheBrain company’s tutorials are a good starting point – even if you don’t have the software. It is expensive, but the Free Edition gives you full access to all features of the Pro edition for 30 days – allowing a good healthy trial.

2 Likes