Another note taking app, open source and x-platform: Joplin

I’ve stumbled across Joplin, an open source / x-platform (and Free) note-taking / ToDo app. Thought I’d mention it since apparently we all need many many note-taking apps :slight_smile:

Joplin is a free, open source note taking and to-do application, which can handle a large number of notes organised into notebooks. The notes are searchable, can be copied, tagged and modified either from the applications directly or from your own text editor. The notes are all in [Markdown format] (Joplin).

I’ve been playing around with it for a few weeks now, and it is very nice!

iCloud sync is not (officially) supported, but I’ve found using an icloud folder as source works on the mac, not on iOS. I set up a webdav for it on my raspberry pi vpn server, and that works very well.

joplinapp.org

Now that you’ve had a bit of time with Joplin, @JKoopmans , how are you finding it? I’d love to give DEVONThink a whirl but I don’t have a Mac and work mostly on the iPad, so I’ve been looking around at other options. Curious about your experience with Joplin.

I’m still working my way through the app, and fitting it into my workflow.
Will try to update my post as I go this summer

What I really like is that I control all the moving parts, and Joplin works cross platform.

I’ve now set up syncthrough one of my raspberry pi’s (via Webdav) and it is really fast.
Have not had conflicts so far but still early days.

How easy (or hard) is it to link notes between them?
Can you select part of your notes to be always downloaded offline on mobile?

not sure what you mean here?

Ah sorry. Can you easily link from one note to another with some kind of automatic syntax like wiki links?

linking notes is fairly simple (right click; copy markdown link)

screenshot shows markdown (left) and preview (right)

some more info on joplin:

1 Like

Okay, thanks. Then it’s still convoluted, à la Evernote. The major strength of true linked notes apps is the ability to link them on the fly inside a doc without having to go back to your notes list, copy a link, get back and paste it (which is pretty much mandatory for a true Zettelkasten workflow). Too bad, but thank you for clarifying this.

Hi, I know its a pretty old thread. I just wanted to update on the comment on note linking. Joplin is very flexible and extensible. You can easily add other note links without going out of the existing note using the “Quick Links” Plug-in. Just check out the screencast gif to see it in action.

2 Likes

That’s a good one! Had not seen that one before! Thanks for mentioning.