Another Photos Alternative Request

I’ve been cruising some of the older similar questions and have a list of alternatives. But any current experience (with the exception of those of you who responded to my questions on older questions - than you!) with apps would be appreciated!

Ok, another “what to use beyond Apple Photos/iCloud” question.

We are slowly putting all of our pictures together into the Synology Photos system. It seems to be fine for storing pictures, but - and I knew this - not as fine for editing pictures and, if desired, exporting pictures to sites like Snapfish.

So, what I’m looking for is an app I can run on my Mac and possibly iOS devices (as well as those of my wife and possibly kids machines depending on the license requirements) that will allow me to edit individual pictures from the Synology library. I’d also like to be able to export the images into other services (shutterfly, etc) or via email, etc.

My current workflow as I work to close down my Photos subscription…

1. Download photos from iCloud (using iMazing) and organize into a folder on an external drive
  2. Review for duplicates
  3. Migrate to Synology

When we need to edit and work on them, the workflow in Photos has been:

1. Organize the pictures into an album
  2. Edit as needed (for the fam it’s more crop and resize, I occasionally play with colors, try to “repair” or “heal” sun spots and what not)
  3. Export directly from the app or export into a folder to upload to a 3rd party app for printing, etc.

So far, I’m digging how Synology organizes things when uploading from my iPad. I also appreciate the AI/facial recognition. I’m experimenting a bit here and there, but it seems to do rather decently.

With Storage largely taking care of (and done in a way I can easily back the images up to our external drives, etc), now I am looking for software I can use to do slight edits. Ideally by having the app on our device(s) and pointing it to the necessary folders on our Synology and editing then saving the images there (unless we decide to duplicate then edit the duplicate photo).

We are not professional photographers, though I’d love to become better at taking and editing pictures. Most of our editing needs were met with Photos/iPhoto in the past and I’ve had other tools as needed (Mac: Acorn mainly, iOS: Snapseed, Darkroom, Pixelmator, though I’ve mostly used Snapseed for light editing if I couldn’t do what I needed in iOS Photos).

So I’m looking for suggestions, namely for my family, but if y’all have suggestions on independent apps I can point to our collections of images, ideally apps that are solid and typically upgraded and maintained (for both Mac and iOS), I’d appreciate it!

Thoughts?